Upgrade to remove ads
Animals Pt.2--(3rd gr)
Terms in this set (27)
animals that eat BOTH PLANTS and ANIMALS
animals that eat PLANTS
animals that eat ANIMALS
What 4 things do animals need to survive?
food water air shelter
How do animals get water?
by drinking it or from the foods they eat
How do animals take in air?
from air and water
Why do animals need shelter?
to protect them from other animals or from the weather
Name 4 traits mammals inherit from their parents.
lungs to breathe
feed on mother's milk
give birth to live young
What 3 traits are used to place mammals into groups?
1. where they live
2. having special features like fins, wings, or pouches
3. what they eat
What 5 traits do birds have?
1. feathers 2. two legs 3. wings 4. lungs to breathe 5. young hatch from eggs
The shape of a bird's beak can tell what the bird _____________
The shape of a bird's feet can be used to tell where the bird _______________
What are 4 traits of amphibians?
1. begin life in water then move to land
2. lay eggs
3. breathe from gills first then lungs later
4. have moist skin
What are 4 traits of fish?
1. live underwater
2. breathe with gills
3. most lay eggs
4. most are covered with scales
What are 4 traits of reptiles?
1. live on land
2. breathe with lungs
3. lay eggs
4. covered with scales
Name 3 examples of instinct?
1. birds building nest
2. birds keeping their eggs warm
3. birds feeding and defending their chicks
Name 4 examples of learned behavior?
1. lions teaching cubs to hunt
2. birds learning their songs by listening to others of their kind
3. birds eating a bad tasting insect learn not to eat it again
4. dogs learning commands such as SIT STAY ROLL OVER
Why do some animals hibernate?
because they can't find enough food to keep their bodies warm
Why do animals migrate from one place to another?
to escape the cold and find food
Why is it good that some animals are camouflage?
to disguise them from predators or prey
Mimicry can also help by making ____________ stay away.
Give examples of how parts of an animals body help it survive.
A bear's fur keeps it warm, its claws help it climb, its sharp teeth help it tear food
When the number of animals of a species is steadily going down, the species is ____________
Species that are extinct are _________
Animals that are endangered are protected by the ___________
How can we better protect animals that are threatened or endangered?
1. pass laws to protect the animals from hunting
2. set aside protected land for them to live on
Name three causes of extinction
1. habitat loss
2. new predators
3. over hunting
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
2nd grade Ch 2 plants and animals L2 kinds of anim…
Ella - Animals and Their Parts
Chapter 1 Scott Foresman Science - 4th Grade
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Word Trek Book 2 Lesson 21
Word Trek Book 2 Lesson 23
Word Trek Book 2 Lesson 22
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Development: 3rd week
First long exam
Final Exam Review Gustafson
BSC 216 test 3