Upgrade to remove ads
Flash cards Group 4
Terms in this set (14)
How did the religion of Islam get started?
The prophet Muhammad believed he had a vision from God to be his messenger, and he was the founder
What are the five pillars of Islam?
The basic rules that Muslims live by
By the time of the last of the Rightly Guided Caliphs through the Umayyad Dynasty what areas were included in the Muslim Empire?
The empire covered most of the Middle East over to Persia, the Arabian Peninsula, North Africa, and Spain
Why did the Muslim Empire not spread into France?
Muslim armies were halted by their defeat at the Battle of Tours by the Frank's
Describe the extensive Muslim Trade routes.
• Muslim merchants basically controlled trade in the Middle East
• Muslim trade extended down the east coast of Africa
• Muslims were a key part of the Trans-Saharan gold-salt trade
• Muslim trade ships went throughout the Mediterranean, Red Sea, Persian Gulf, and the Indian Ocean connecting Muslim merchants to trade from Southeast Asia through India
• Muslim Merchants were connected with China because they were at the end of the Silk Road trade
What religion has had the greatest influence on North Africa?
As a result of trade during the time of the Abbasid caliphs new crops like rice, sugar cane, bananas, and coconut changed agriculture in the Middle East. Where did these crops come from?
What is the major idea that separates Shi'ite from Sunni Muslims?
Shi'ites only accepted a descendant of the prophet Muhammad (through his soninlaw Ali) as the true rulers of Islam
In what areas was Muslim scholarship advanced?
• Medicine: Ibn Sina wrote medical texts that were very advanced
• Geography: Ibn Battuta wrote a textbook on geography after extensive travel
• Math: al Khwarizmi developed algebra
• Science: Muslim astronomers invented the astrolabe to use in navigation on the ocean
What was the cultural significance of the House of Wisdom?
It was a Muslim library where texts from other cultures were translated into Arabic
What natural resource was key to the prosperity of the old west African kingdom of Ghana?
What west African kingdoms controlled the trans-Saharan trade of gold, salt, and slaves?
Ghana, Mali, and Songhai
What early language from west Africa became the root for most African languages?
What is Swahili?
It is a language and culture that was a blending of Bantu and Arabic as a result of the trade connection between Arabs and East Africa
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Section 3: Trade networks of Asia and Africa
Trans-Sahara, Indian Ocean Trade, Islam in India,…
Islamic World, Medieval Africa and Mongols
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Flash cards Group 14
Flash cards Group 13
Flash cards Group 12
Flash cards Group 11
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Martin Ch 10
Hist 117 ex. 2 Multiple Choice
Developmental Science Final