Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (11)
What percent of Americans identify with some form of religion?
4 ways that the government recognizes religion
1.religion in public places
2. government officials taking their oath of office
3. pledge of Allegiance says "One Nation Under God"
4. Since 1864 most coins have "In God We Trust"
2 ways that out government encourages religion
1. chaplains serve with each branch of armed forces
2. most church property tax-exempt
In the case of Everson v. Board of Education why were states to pay for transporting students to schools operated by a church or religious group?
The law benefited students rather than aid a religion directly
Schools receiving federal funds could hold religious meetings at school. What were two issues about students that must be met?
1. must be voluntary
2. open to students of any religion
When was the one time at church schools could not use state provided busses?
for field trips
When do the courts never permit religious freedom to justify any behavior?
When it conflicts with the law
What kind of symbol is the American Flag considered to be?
What kind of ideas does the first Amendment protect?
Ideas that may be unpopular or different from the majority
2 different types of speech and explain them
1. pure speech- use of words to communicate ideas
2. symbolic speech- using of actions and symbols in addition to or instead of words to express opinions
In 1989 what act was declared unconstitutional?
Federal Flag Protection Act
Sets with similar terms
1st Amendment - Freedom of Religion
E Unit 4 Your Rights: Freedom of Relgion Establish…
Chapter 19.2 Freedom of Religion
AP Gov Chapter 5: Civil Liberties VOCAB & THEMES
Other sets by this creator
A & P chapter 4
American History Chapter 9