Create an account
Explain the status of slavery in future states under the Constitution
* Constitution has right and did abolish slave trade when it had the chance.
* Most people assumed Federal government could not abolish slavery in states where it already existed.
* Future states acceptance on slavery
- Constitution said nothing about slavery in new states.
- Congress has power to admit new states so they assumed they could regulate slavery by saying your constitution must be prohibit or accept slavery.
- Congress could regulate slavery in new territory
Describe the results of the attempt to pass the Wilmot Proviso
* Bill is saying no slavery in new states & no blacks can live their either.
* Fails, gets through house but not senate.
Splits wig and Democrats in North & south boundary. North Whigs & Democratic like, Southern Democratic & Whigs did not like it.
* Launch free soil movement. No slavery in New states territories.
Describe the basic tenets of popular (or squatter) sovereignty
* That territory settlers would determine slavery status in that territory.
* North Democratic - They saw it as the first settler legislation would decide if its slavery or no slavery territory . They thought people would say no slavery.
* Southern Democratic - The constitutional conviction will decide if slavery is allowed or not.
* Slave holders would have got their and could make state slavery state.
Name the presidential candidates & winner in the election of 1848
* Whigs : Zachery Taylor - Winner
* Democratic: Lewis Cass
* Free Sailers: Martin Van Buren
Describe the basic parts of the Compromise of 1850
* California is admitted as a free state.
* Popular sovereignty will choose if slavery is allowed or not in the two new territories ( Utah & Mexico territories)
* New fugitive slave law creating a system to help slave holders capture escaped slaves. It was a nasty bill made it a federal crimes to help slaves. Courts would be held in South for slaves released issues.
* Prohibits of slave trade in Washington DC.
Boundary dispute between New Mexico & TX is been resolved.
Name the presidential candidates & winner in the election of 1852
* Whigs : Franklin Pierce - Winner
* Democratic: John Hail
Explain why Stephen A. Douglas introduced the Kansas-Nebraska Bill in 1854
* Strong supporter of expansion.
* He thought the slavery issue would half expansion.
* He wanted to be president and thought this would help him.
* Wanted more railroads.
* Thought popular sovereignty helped expansion.
Explain the results of the Kansas-Nebraska Bill.
* Bill passes
* Fight over bill majorly hurts the connection between North & South.
* Destroyed the 2nd two parties system - Split Whigs right down the middle.
* Coalitions that opposed the acts eventually go into the Republican party.
Explain the origins & beliefs of the Know-Nothing Party
* Massive immigration of Irish & Germans, many of whom were Catholic & this upset yhe Know-Nothing party.
* They thought Catholics would form party and listen to Pope which would destroy the USA
* Opposed the Nebraska act
Explain the origins of the Republican Party
*Northern coalition that were opposed to slavery and popular sovereignty - Consisted of Northern Wighs, free sailers, Liberty party, anti-slavery people, & some people of the Know Nothing party
Describe the origins of Bleeding Kansas
* Fighting in Kansas over whether or not there would be slavery in the territory
* Republican party slogan
* Fighting was very bad, killing in the hundreds
Name the presidential candidates & winner in the election of 1856
* James Buchanon - Democratic, winner
* John Fredmot - Republican
* Miller Tyler - Know nothing party
Discuss the findings of the Dred Scott case.
* Dred Scott is a slave that lives free territory and sues for his freedom.
* Issue in supreme court is should he be free
* Supreme court said that he can't come to court because he is not a citizen
* No African descent can become a citizen . Supreme court also said that congress could not decide if slavery was allowed in a territory
Discuss the intent of the Lecompton Constitution
* A Kansas constitution drafted to make Kansas a state and it said Kansas would be a slave free state.
* Fight in Congress because many people thought the constitution was not the will of the people
* Splits the Democratic
* Popular sovereignty fails
Explain the principles & results of the Lincoln-Douglas debates.
* Lincoln - Slavery needs to be opposed as immoral, to keep slavery from being extended to the new territories. As well as abolish it eventually in the South.
* Douglas - Saying slavery is immoral, threatens the Union because it will cause the South to secede
- Douglas gets re-elected
- Lincoln win respect with Republicans in the North
- Debates sharpen the ideas of the Republican & made compromise less likely.
Describe the results of John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry in 1859
* Raid failed, John Brown was hanged
* Outpour of sympathy in the North
* Sothern's saw this sympathy in the North as the majority opinion in the North & the South saw cession as the only way to protect their interests.
Explain the course & results of the Speaker's race in 1859
* Republicans put up Sherman for speaker of the house ( He endorsed a book where he said non slave holders should oppose slavery in South). Sothern's opposed this & the race was long and nasty, Sherman withdrew his name
* This race convinced Southern that Republican were committed to get non slave owning, Sothern's to vote out slavery in the South
18. Name the presidential candidates & winner in the election of 1860.
Republican -Abraham Lincoln, winner,North
* Northern Democratic - Stephen Douglas
*Southern Democratic- John Brickridge
* Constitutional Union - John Bell
Describe the basic beliefs of the Republican Party in 1860
* Half the expansion of slavery.
* High protective tariff
* Free bond for people in the West
*Federal aid for internal improvement.
Describe the basic beliefs of the Democratic Parties in 1860
* Northern - Popular Sovereignty determines slavery
* Southern - Slavery should be protected by federal government
Describe the basic beliefs of the Constitutional Union Party in 1860
* Wanted compromise & everybody to get along
Explain the results of the presidential election of 1860
* North had more population which gave it more Electoral College votes than the South
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together