5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Gas molecules
- a Approximately 70-85% of carbon dioxide is processed as __________ and expired from the lungs
- b The average life span of _______ is 120 days
- c One of the critical functions of Hemoglobin involves the transport of ________.
- d __________ oxygen carrying protein found in red blood cells (erythrocytes) it is a tetrameric protein containing four heme groups and four polypeptide protein chains
- e Iron in the _____ state allows O2 to reversibly bind and be transported thoughout the the tissues of the body.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Types of thalassemia are classified by which ____ chain is affected
- The adult range of this type of blood is less than 0.4%
- Iron is released from the heme in the ______ and then returned to the plasma
- A green pigmented compound formed by the addition of a hydrogen sulfide molecule to Hb
- excessive excretion of one or more porphyrins in the urine.
5 True/False questions
Hb S → Most common abnormal type of hemoglobin
Nucleus → Due to the lack of a ______ the average RBC lives for approx. 120 days
Lead → This prohibits all steps in porphyrin synthesis.
Hb A2 → Which type of Hemoglobin is the most common in adults?
Myoglobin → A heme protein found in the muscle tissue, it serves as a reserve supply of O2 and requires lower O2 pressure to release oxygen