Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 24: The West and the World Main Ideas
Terms in this set (4)
What were some of the global consequences of European industrialization between 1815 and 1914?
- Britain was no longer in advantage to global trade
- land and sea transportation became popular and very convenient
- railroads reduced the price of transportation costs
- British traders smuggled opium (a drug) in to China. The Chinese did not like this.
- Lin Zexu was sent to deal with the Chinese drug dealers
- Lin Zexu wrote to the British queen and asked her help the problem of smuggling opium
- Japan was isolated and the US did not like that
- Ismail put Egypt in debt so then British commissioners dealt with Egypt's finances. Not a lot of people liked this.
How was massive migration an integral part of Western expansion?
- migration: general human movement
- emigrants: people leaving one country for another
- the population of Europeans was increasing
- skilled artisans and small farmers moved out of Europe to stay ahead of poverty
- some people migrated for rights (i.e. Jews)
- people would normally go back to their home country
- Asians also migrated because they replaced African slaves in their jobs when the slave trade stopped
- the US set restrictions on who could migrate into the country. They only wanted people who were educated in their country.
- some countries gave better treatment to native inhabitants than to immigrants
How did Western imperialism change after 1880?
- Algeria and Ethiopia remained independent
- Britain, France, Belgium and Germany struggled for possessions in Africa
- the Berlin Conference was held to set out basic rules for imperialist competition
- economic motives
- Social Darwinism: the strongest nations are the best, some races are superior to others, survival of the fittest
- Europeans felt like it was their duty to civilize non-westerners
- Orientalism was the idea that Europeans misunderstood the culture of nonwhites
- artists and writers drew and wrote about foreign peoples cultures
- some people like Hobson criticized the idea that Europeans are superior
What was the general pattern of non-western responses to Western expansion?
- Africans and Asians wanted to drive out Europeans violently
- Britain ruled India for a long time
- British officers did not believe that educated Indians could be equal to them
- British women would come to live with their husbands and their job was to take care of the household.
- some British feminist, social reformers, and missionaries wanted Muslim and Hindu women to be educated
- Japan modernized its army and politics. Every male had to have military training and the government established an authoritarian constitution
- China: Qing dynasty collapsed, the Boxers blamed sickness on foreigners
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Chapter 23: The Age of Nationalism Main Ideas
Chapter 26: The Age of Anxiety Main Ideas
Chapter 25: War and Revolution Main Ideas
Chapter 27: Dictatorships and the Second World War…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
IS Unit System
Elements 1-20 + First Group
Polyatomic Ions #1