5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Common symptoms of Late Dumping Syndrome
- Dumping Syndrome most common after which surgery
- Pre- operative care for Bowel diversion surgery
- Gastric Restrictive Lap. Roux-EN-Y Gastric Post OP NI
- Postprandial hypoglycemia
- a bolus of concentrated carbohydrate; hyperglycemia : excessive release of insulin
- b happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types
- c Larger bed; N/G; Anastomotic leaks; Nutrition dense diet for the first 6 weeks; Dumping Syndrome; Vitamin/mineral/nutrient replacement; Long term improvement in obesity related conditions.
- d Billroth II
- e Bowel prep
5 Multiple choice questions
- removal of the abdominal apron( the excess fat and skin that may hang down over the genital area and thighs)
- Occlusion of the lumen of the intestinal tract; small intestine adhesions, neoplasm; large intestine carcinoma ( most common cause); Volvulus; Diverticular diseases; and Intussusception
- abdominal pain ( waves, general discomfort constant (paralytic ileus) ,Severe, rapid in onset strangulation), silent bowel sounds, N/V, Distention, inability to pass fluids, Ausculation, Temperture,bloody stools, Labs (WBC, H&H, and BUN levels are elevated; LYTES levels are decreased), Abdominal x-rays, barium enema, colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy.
- is a surgical connection between two structures. It usually means a connection that is created between tubular structures, such as blood vessels or loops of intestine.
- it is a gastrointestinal reconstruction technique. It may be performed in cases of stomach cancer, a malfunctioning pyloric valve, gastric obstruction, and peptic ulcers.
5 True/False questions
Criteria for Gastric surgery (6) → Gastrectomy, Vagotomy, Pylorplasty, Gastroduodenostomy, Gastrojejunostomy, and Gastroenterostomy
Prep for a colonoscopy → is the endoscopic examination of the large bowel and the distal part of the small bowel with a CCD camera or a fiber optic camera on a flexible tube passed through the anus
Nursing interventions Goals colonoscopy → Generally, all solids must be emptied from the gastrointestinal tract by following a clear liquid diet for 1 to 3 days before the procedure. Patients should not drink beverages containing red or purple dye. A laxative or an enema may be required the night before colonoscopy..NPO after midnight, conscious sedation, Propofol (Diprivan) is a drug that reduces anxiety and tension, and promotes relaxation and sleep or loss of consciousness.
Volvulus → is similar to an ileostomy, but the colon—not the ileum—is diverted to a stoma. As with an ileostomy, stool collects in an ostomy pouch.
Possible reasons for bowel diversion surgery. → Cancer, trauma, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), bowel obstruction, and diverticulitis