5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a politically organized territory administered by a sovereign government, with a permanent population, and recognized by the international community ("State" = internal division; "state" = country).
- b two or more separate pieces (e.g., Indonesia, Malaysia,...)
- c a venture of three or more states (sometimes two or more) involving formal economic, political, and/or cultural cooperation to promote shared objectives. Some examples ...
- d The political term used when referring to the fragmentation or breakup of a region or country into smaller regions or countries. The term comes from the Balkan wars, where the country of Yugoslavia was broken up in to six countries between 1989 and 1992.
- e legal document or treaty drawn up to specify actual points in the landscape
5 Multiple choice questions
- a.k.a. prorupt; have an area that extends from a more compact core (e.g, Thailand, India,...)
- commonly refers to the post-Cold War era vision in which world affairs would not be dominated by the competition between the two nuclear superpowers; a positive and hopeful vision for the future.
- the largely democratic and free-market states of the United States and Western Europe (Cold War to today)
- nation that transcends the borders of two or more states (e.g., Kurds (Kurdistan), The Koreas,...).
- area where borders are shifting and weak, and where peoples of different cultures or nationalities meet and lay claim to the land (e.g., Amazon Basin, Antarctica, between Saudi Arabia and Yemen).
5 True/False questions
Theocracy → a state whose government is either believed to be divinely guided or a state under the control of a group of religious leaders (e.g., Iran, Saudi Arabia, Vatican City (Holy See)).
-Relict → distance from geometric center is similar (e.g., Germany, Hungary,...)
Devolution → process whereby regions within a state demand and gain political strength and growing autonomy at the expense of the central government (e.g., Basque and Catalonia in Spain, Chechnya in Russia, ...).
-Physical-political → mark breaks in the human landscape (Armenia/Azerbaijan)
-North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) → state or territory that is small in both population and area (e.g., Vatican City, Monaco,...)