Create an account
0-5 years old
- doesn't understand death
- separation forms basis for later understanding
- believes death is reversible, temporary or sleep
- emphasizes immobility & inactivity as attributes
5-9 years old
- understands that death is final
- believes own death can be avoided
- associated death w/aggression or violence
- believes wishes or unrelated actions can cause death
12-18 years old
- fears a lingering death
- may fantasize that death can be defied, acts out
- seldom thinks about death, but views it in religious & philosophical terms
- may try to reach adult understanding, but can't emotionally
- may still hold onto prior beliefs
45-65 years old
- accepts own mortality
- encounters death of parents & some peers
- experiences peaks of death anxiety
- death anxiety diminishes w/emotional well being
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together