5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- red shirts
- empress ci xi
- Menelik II
- "white man's burden"
- a control other cultures and help them advance
- b social system government installed by british
only whites can vote, no boers (blacks)
- c army of volunteer troops led by garibaldi. in 1860 they attacked the island of sicily and won it for the italians
- d leader of ethiopians
keeps italians out by modernizing army
- e most imp person in china
5 Multiple choice questions
- egyptian waterway connecting the mediterranean and red seas; built in 1869 by Franco-Egyptian company.
in 1875, britain bought egypts share of the canal
- builds trans-siberian railroad
tries to fully industrialize russia
ends revolution by making october manifesto
- all the european powers trying to claim land in africa. mad-dash for land grab
- ruling japan in 1800s
- 1. shaka and zulu (rebel agst Brits)
2. by menelik II (keeps italians out)
3. maji maji rebellion (ast. Germany)
5 True/False questions
pogroms → organized persecutions and massacres of Jews in Russia in 1880s (anti-semetic attacks)
2nd Reich → emperor believed best way to maintain indp was to reform and modernize.
means "enlightened one"
purpose for war with denmark → german statesman, became the leading force behind german unification. main political goal: prussia to gain power over austria.
policy= "blood and iron"
known as "iron chancellor"
giuseppe garibaldi → italian military and nationalist leader, unified the souther states of italy and joined them to the north to form the united kingdom of italy.
used gorrila warfare tactic
known as the sword of nationalism.
dark continetn → no one knew what the center of africa looked like
euros didnt go bc: sacred, climate, no infustructure, disease