5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- policy uncertainty
- a According to Mintzberg, which role would a manager assume if she were trying to convince union members to accept a 25-cent-per-hour reduction in pay in order to keep the manufacturing plant open?
- b The Japanese government decreed that Japanese snow was different from all others and required that all snow equipment marketed in the country be made in Japan for safety reasons. The elimination of non-Japanese companies from the market is an example of how ____ can influence global business.
- c The Rainforest Action Network, a national advocacy group, launched a bruising PR campaign to stop Home Deport from selling old-growth lumber. After two years of bad publicity and resistance to new store locations, Home Depot surrendered. Today, its suppliers are working with environmental and forestry groups to certify that their wood products are not from endangered areas. Home Depot used a(n) ____ strategy to respond to demands that it be socially responsible.
- d Upper-level managers may actually spend more time dealing with people than lower-level managers.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The term innovation streams refers to patterns of innovation over time that can create sustainable competitive advantage.
- After their first year of managerial experience, managers tend to:
- The three steps of the strategy-making process are (1) assess the need for strategic change, (2) conduct a situational analysis, and (3) choose the strategic alternatives.
- An accountant with ____ has the ability to create a budget, compare the budget to the actual income statement, and determine unnecessary expenses.
- The creation of Ingram Distribution allows booksellers to streamline the ordering and return procedures of their books. Ingram made all the books bookstore owners wanted available in one centralized warehouse. Many new bookstore owners would be unwilling and/or unable to return to the method of ordering books from the individual publishers. This is an example of the creation of ____.
5 True/False questions
options based planning → To achieve its goal of increased market share, Krispy Kreme launched a program in Palm Beach County, Florida, that awards grade-school students a free doughnut for every A on their report cards. Creating this program was primarily the function of which management function? Which management function was used to create this program
whistleblower → Connie O'Day is a middle-level manager for the publishers of Free Spirit magazine, a publication targeted to women who are not focused on finding a husband or maintaining a house and garden. She spends much of her day conducting interviews with groups of women to determine what they consider most important in their lives. She also keeps an eye on the sales and content of other women's magazines. Which informational role does O'Day perform
shortens the innovation process → The use of milestones in the experiential approach to innovation ____.
is a derailer → As the shift supervisor at a car wash, Jacob is bossy, arrogant, and insensitive to the needs of his subordinates. He is unable to delegate any tasks to the other employees. He will more than likely never be a middle or top manager because he
resource scarcity → ____ is the degree to which an organization's external environment has an abundance or scarcity of critical organizational resources.