5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- border states
- Kansas-Nebraska Act
- slave state
- slave codes
- Harriet Beecher Stowe
- a states that were located between the Union and Confederacy that had slaves but wanted to stay with the Union
- b laws to control the behavior of slaves and made it difficult for them.
- c she wrote a novel describing the cruelties of slavery called Uncle Tom's Cabin
- d in 1854 a law passed that said Kansas and Nebraska could decide if they wanted slave
- e a state with slaves
5 Multiple choice questions
- an organized secret system set up to help enslaved people escape from the South to freedom in the North or Canada
- a law passed in 1820 that prohibited areas to have slaves. states above the Missouri Compromise line were free states and below were slave states.
- this said that escaped slaves had to be returned to their owners
- was a United States senator who believed in states rights
- The 16th President the United States during the civil war
5 True/False questions
Joseph Cinque → breaking away from the nation
Union → a short name for the United States
Stephen Douglas → laws to control the behavior of slaves and made it difficult for them.
states' rights → the idea that states should be able to make their own decisions
Compromise of 1850 → California became a free state and the Fugitive Slave Law was passed