Create an account
1) The process whereby an increasing percentage of people live in an urban area is known as
2) The most important element of urbanization is an increase in the
number of people living in urban settlements.
percentage of people living in urban settlements.
land area occupied by urban settlements.
3) Which statement best describes the relationship between urbanization and the Industrial Revolution?
The Industrial Revolution promoted urbanization.
7) In the United States, which of the following definitions of a city covers the largest land area?
metropolitan statistical area
8) Higher social heterogeneity in urban settlements means that
you may feel lonely and isolated in a crowd.
9) According to Louis Wirth, urban areas are more likely than rural areas to have
larger size; higher density; more heterogeneity.
11) The process of change in the use of a house, from single-family owner occupancy to abandonment, is
12) A process by which banks designate an area within which they refuse to lend money for improvements is
13) A process by which real estate agents convince white owners to sell their houses is
) The zone in transition in U.S. cities typically contains what?
warehouses; gentrified buildings; public housing
17) According to U.S. law, when a family is forced by a city to relocate
moving expenses and rent increases are paid by the government.
21) Compared to whites, African Americans in U.S. cities are more likely to be
clustered in inner-city neighborhoods
22) To deal with the financial problems in some areas of the cities, American city governments
23) A recent change in the density gradient has been
a reduction in the differences in densities found within an urban area.
25) Sprawl is the A) change in density within an urban area from the center to the periphery.
development of new housing sites not contiguous to the existing built-up area.
29) People are attracted to suburbs in part because suburbs are characterized by
private land surrounding the house.
) Public transit is more extensive in Western European cities than in the United States primarily because
European governments subsidize public transit.
37) The attractions of shopping malls include all but which of the following?
walking distance from homes
41) Chicago is a good location in which to develop urban models because it is located
on a flat prairie.
44) Social area analysis attempts to explain
the distribution of different types of people in an urban area.
45) The multiple nuclei theory best explains why different neighborhoods of a city attract people of different
46) Higher income people tend to live near the center of the city in all but which of the following regions?
47) When the models of urban structure developed in Chicago are applied to Rio de Janeiro, one conclusion is that
the poorest people are located in different areas.
48) Ramshackle houses on the periphery of cities in less developed countries are known as
49) Compared to the United States, poor families in European cities are more likely to be
clustered in suburbs
50) The wide boulevards built in cities in less developed countries were most likely built during what era?
51) A central city and its contiguous built-up suburbs is called a metropolitan statistical area.
52) According to Louis Wirth, cities differ from rural areas in being larger, more dense, and more socially homogeneous.
56) Public housing comprises a large percentage of housing in the United Kingdom but only a small percentage in the United States.
59) Relatively wealthy individuals live in the center of most cities in the world outside of North America.
60) Suburban sprawl has resulted in the loss of most of the prime agricultural land in the United States.
62) While public transportation ridership has declined in the United States, a number of cities have invested in new public transportation systems.
63) The three models of urban structure help to explain where people live in U.S. cities but not in European cities.
64) Urban population worldwide is projected to exceed rural settlement population for the first time in 2008.
65) Rural settlements outside European cities have been converted to weekend homes, because they are no longer needed for agriculture.
66) The supply of land for new housing is more severely restricted outside European cities than U.S. cities.
67) In the United States, a city plus its contiguous built-up suburbs is known as an urbanized area.
69) The three eras of development of cities in many less developed countries were pre-Columbian, pre-Colonial, and independence.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together