Create an account
- c. 10,000 to 2.5 million years ago
- greatest concerns were steady and plentiful food supply and clothing
- stone and bone tools (i.e spears, bows, arrows, fishhooks, harpoons, clay pots)
- humans were nomadic hunters and gatherers
- predates to agricultural societies
- social groups: extended families grew into clans; clans mixed with neighboring groups to form tribes with sophisticated organization (chiefs, leaders, religious figures)
- organized warfare with weapons
- worship of deities; religious rituals included sacrifices to gods, godesses, and spirits
- expression through art and music
- division of labor designed by gender: men hunted, women gathered.
- called New Stone Age (8000-5000 B.C.E), the origins of agricultural society
- earliest evidence of sedentary agriculture dates back to between 10,000 and 8000 B.C.E
-domestication of animals and cultivation of crops
- the earliest method of cultivation was slash-and-burn agriculture
- earliest agricultural societies appeared in southwestern Asia and spread to India, Europe, and Asia; Meso
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together