4 Written questions
4 Multiple choice questions
- - Germany's one hope for challenging British power at sea lay with a new naval weapon, the submarine.
- Germany answered the British blockade by announcing a blockade of its own and warned that ships attempting to enter the "war zone" risked being sunk on sight by German submarines
- - Penalty for criticizing the government's way policy, was often a stiff prison sentence.
- Provided imprisonment up to 20 years for persons who either tried to incite rebellion in the armed forces or obstruct the operation of the draft.
- Prohibited anyone from making "disloyal" or "abusive" remarks about the US government.
- - AEF
- was commanded by General John Pershing.
- Assumed independent responsibility for one segment of the Western Front
- - A series of unexplained bombings caused Attorney Generals A. Mitchell Palmer to establish a special office under J. Edgar Hoover to gather information on radicals.
- Ordered mass arrests of anarchists, Socialists, and labor agitators.
4 True/False questions
Selective Service Act → - A democratic method for ensuring that all groups in the population would be called into serve.
Fourteen Points → 1) Recognition of freedom of the seas
2) An end to the practice of making secret treaties
3) Reduction of national armaments
4) An "impartial adjustment of all colonial claims"
5) Self determination for the various nationalities within the Austro-Hungarian empire
6) "A general association of nations...for the purpose of affording mutual guarantees of political independence and territorial integrity to great and small state alike
Reservationists → - Said they could accept the League if certain reservations were added to the covenant.
Treaty of Versailles → - War industries board: Set production priorities and established centralized control over raw materials and prices.
- Food Administration: Encourage Americans households to eat less meat and bread so that more food could be shipped abroad for the French and British troops.
- Fuel Administration: directed efforts to save coal. Nonessential factories were closed, and daylight savings time went into effect for the first time.
- National War Labor Board: Helped arbitrate disputes between workers and employers. Labor won concessions during the war that had earlier been denied. Wages rose, the 8 hour day was more common, and union membership increased.