A Wall of Fire Rising
Terms in this set (17)
- Guy feels insecure and is trapped by his own guilty conscious
- Guy feels that the only way out is to follow his dreams.
- Hot air balloon represents an escape from a cruel reality
- List means a promised job
- Better life
Duty & Expectations (1)
- Guy has a traditional male role as a provider to his family but cannot fulfil his duties due to unemployment
- He didn't want to turn out as his father did, but believes that is the way it's going to be
- Guy holds his son to high standards because of his success at the quick memorization of his lines; Little guy is fighting an uphill battle to be successful due to the nature of his environment and living conditions
Duty & Expectations (2)
- Haiti expected to be free after the revolution, but can't because of extreme poverty
- The combination of these events MAY have led Guy to commit suicide
Guy changes his reasoning throughout the story of how he got to where he was. He blames his struggles on:
- His father for being trapped in Haiti
- Himself for failing to live up to gender roles by not supporting his family financially
- On his location specifically in Haiti
Slavery vs. Freedom
- Haiti won their independence from the French
- But now the people are enslaved by poverty
- The list confines those on it to only factory work, and Lili did not want that for Little Guy.
-The protagonists (Guy, Lili, and Little Guy) are introduced to the reader(however you want to say it)
- We discover that Little Guy is not only in the school play, but is the lead role. "Boukman" who lead the Haiti slave revolt against the French to gain independence
- The Family lives in a one room shack.
- They struggle to put food on the table due to lack of a regular source of income
-Close knit family
- Little Guy Practices his lines from the play
- Lili encourages him to keep going
- Guy seems to feel left behind, because his son's role in the play is important, and shows how much potential Little Guy has
- Guy receives a job at the sugar mill
- First job in 6 months
- He feels he deserves a higher position, than cleaning bathrooms
- Desires to put LIttle Guy on the List, Lili refuses, she wants more for her son
- Guy steal the hot air balloon, proving that he can fly
- People in the village gather to watch
- This is foreshadowing what's to come
- Those gathered cheer Guy on
- Assad (owner) is baffled as to how Guy managed to fly the balloon alone when took him a whole crew to fly it
- Guy stands on the edge of the basket, and proceeds to fall or jump to his death. (open to interpretation)
-Young Assad affirms Guys death and yell "it's over"
- Little Guy stands over his late father and recites the lines from the play
-Lili leaves his eye open "because he likes to look at the sky"
- This is a story of a family that lives in poverty
- Guy comes home to learn that his son is taking part in a play at school
- Lili is very excited for her son
and wants Guy to be too
-Guy tells his wife that he has received work at the sugar mill but is upset because he is cleaning bathrooms
- Guy wants to put his son on the list, so when he gets older, and starts a family of his own Little Guy won't be in the same situation as he himself is currently in
- Guy continues to receive more lines in the play
- Guy talks to Lili about making something out of himself and about flying and dreams that he has and cannot reach because of their situation.
- The next scene is Little Guy running to tell Lili that Guy is in the hot air balloon
-People gather to watch
- Guy jumps/falls death
- The word itself means the appreciation of beauty
- This story is beautiful because Danticat not only uses her personal experience to base the story on but includes the history of her home country and does so in a way that does not make the story tragic, but outstandingly exquisite and touching.