Create an account
- sets up the government
- defines the government
- protects basic rights of Americans
What does the Constitution do?
We the People
The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
- petition the government
What is ONE right or freedom from the First Amendment?
- announced our independence (from Great Britain)
- declared our independence (from Great Britain)
- said that the United States is free (from Great Britain)
What did the Declaration of Independence do?
- Everyone must follow the law.
- Leaders must obey the law.
- Government must obey the law.
- No one is above the law.
What is the "rule of law"?
- the courts
Name ONE branch or part of the government
- checks and balances
- separation of powers
What stops ONE branch of government from becoming too powerful?
- Senate and House (of Representatives)
- (U. S. or national) legislature
Who makes federal laws?
- the state's population
- they have more people
- some states have more people
Why do some states have more Representatives than other states?
the Speaker of the House
If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
Secretary of Education
Secretary of Agriculture
Secretory of Veterans Affairs
What are TWO Cabinet-level positions?
- reviews laws
- explains laws
- resolves disputes (disagreements)
- decides if a law goes against the Constitution
What does the judicial branch do?
- to print money
- to declare war
- to create an army
- to make treaties
Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is ONE power of the federal government?
- provide schooling and education
- provide protection (police)
- provide safety (fire departments)
- give a driver's license
- approve zoning and land use
Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is ONE power of the states?
- Citizens 18 and older (can vote)
- You don't have to pay (a poll tax) to vote
- Any citizen can vote (Women and men can vote).
- A male citizen of any race (can vote).
There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe ONE of them.
- serve on a jury
- vote in a federal election
What is ONE responsibility that is only for United States citizens?
- vote in a federal election
- run for federal office
Name ONE right only for United States citizens.
- freedom of expression
- freedom of speech
- freedom of assembly
- freedom of warship
- freedom to petition the government
- the right to bear arms
What are TWO rights of everyone living in the United States?
- give up loyalty to other countries
- defend the Constitution and laws of the United States
- obey the laws of the United States
- serve in the U.S. military
- serve (do important work for) the nation (if needed)
- be loyal to the United States
What is ONE promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
- join a political party
- help with a campaign
- join a civic group
- join a community group
- give an elected official your opinion on an issue
- call Senators and Representatives
- publicly support or oppose an issue or policy
- run for office
- write to a newspaper
What are TWO ways that Americans can participant in their democracy?
- political liberty
- religious freedom
- economic opportunity
- practice their religion
- escape persecution
What is ONE reason colonists came to America?
- because of high taxes (taxation without representation)
- because the British army stayed in their houses (boarding, quartering)
- because they didn't have self-government
Why did the colonists fight the British?
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- New York
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
There were 13 original states. Name THREE.
- The Constitution was written
- The Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution
What happened at the Constitutional Convention?
- (James) Madison
- (Alexander) Hamilton
- (John) Jay
The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name ONE of the writers.
- U.S. diplomat
- oldest member of the Constitutional Convention
- first Postmaster General of United States
- writer of "Poor Richard's Almanac"
- started the first free libraries
What is ONE thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?
- War of 1812
- Mexican-American War
- Civil War
- Spanish-American War
Name ONE war fought by the United States in the 1800s.
- freed the slaves (Emancipation Proclamation)
- saved the Union
- led the United States during the Civil War
What was ONE important thing Abraham Lincoln did?
- freed the slaves
- freed slaves in the Confederacy
- freed slaves in the Confederate states
- freed slaves in most Southern states
What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
- World War I
- World War II
- Korean War
- Vietnam War
- (Persian) Gulf War
Name ONE war fought by the United States in the 1900s.
- fought for civil rights
- worked for equality for all Americans
What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?
Terrorists attacked the United States.
What major event happened on September 11, 2011, in the United States?
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together