Create an account
-Nixon was first conservative President
-shifted government from liberalism to capitalism
-most legislation created with conservative agenda in mind (increased funds for environmental legislation and public housing, but reallocated them in a way to best suit conservatives)
-Nixon resigned due to the Watergate Scandal, but according to Schulman, all this did was increase distrust in the government and boost conservative support
1. Creation of New Right network (republican coalition)
-William Buckley helped unite all groups of conservatives including traditionalists, religious conservatives, and free market libertarians, by creating a forum addressed to them called "The National Review"
-Barry Goldwater was an extreme "rightist" conservative who advocated the use of nuclear weapons and opposed Civil Rights Movements;he promised in his campaign to completely transform the conservative platform; although many opposed his views, he was able to revitalize a generation of conservative activists
-After 1970, the Republican party united many diffferent groups of conservatives, including Old, married women, young religious women, white southerners (traditionalists), and blue collar northerners (libertarians)
-By mid 70s, conservatives had established an institutionalized, disciplined, and well financed movement of closely knit affiliates whom were taught techniques of lobbying, fundraising, and grass-root activism; this movement was greatly enhanced by the use of mail campaign
1. National defense - Reagan was upset with the nation's loss of international dominance following Vietnam, so he disregarded detente and supported a major build up of military strength
2. Anti-Elitism - conservatives no longer fit "the country club image" rather they linked themselves with ordinary common folks and left the snooty image for the liberals
3. Anti-intellectualism - wanted to protect and restore family values including: anti-abortion (anti-feminism movement (Schafly), anti-homosexuality, and create christian schools/rights, as well as purify textbooks
1. Ethnic Revival - shifted from integrated to diversified nation; racial minority movements; developed a cultural nationalism among white americans
2. Evangelical movement - evangelists avoided partisan politics; when it appeared the IRS would take churches off the tax exemption list, the Christians became energized and thus involved
1. Rise of the Sunbelt
A. The region was appealing to Businesses for these reasons:
-low labor costs, low levels union membership (16% by late 80s)
-subsidies for relocating including free land, free facilities, and tax abatements
B. The government/political power was a decisive factor
-increased population meant electoral votes and seats in congress which would allow the region to emerge as a new political force
C. Became more of a middle class, anti-establishment, Southern Society with time
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together