Upgrade to remove ads
First Industrial Revolution VS Second Industrial Revolution
Possible essay question 🤔🤔
Terms in this set (2)
- began in GB
- technological, socioeconomic, and cultural
1. the use of new basic materials, chiefly iron and steel
2.the use of new energy sources, including both fuels and motive power, such as coal, the steam engine, electricity, petroleum, and the internal-combustion engine
3. the invention of new machines, such as the spinning jenny and the power loom that permitted increased production with a smaller expenditure of human energy
4.a new organization of work known as the factory system, which entailed increased division of labour and specialization of function
5. important developments in transportation and communication, including the steam locomotive, steamship, automobile, airplane, telegraph, and radio
6. increasing application of science to industry. These technological changes made possible a tremendously increased use of natural resources and the mass production of manufactured goods.
There were also many new developments in nonindustrial spheres, including the following
1. agricultural improvements that made possible the provision of food for a larger nonagricultural population
2. economic changes that resulted in a wider distribution of wealth, the decline of land as a source of wealth in the face of rising industrial production, and increased international trade
3. political changes reflecting the shift in economic power, as well as new state policies corresponding to the needs of an industrialized society
4. sweeping social changes, including the growth of cities, the development of working-class movements, and the emergence of new patterns of authority, and 5. cultural transformations of a broad order. Workers acquired new and distinctive skills, and their relation to their tasks shifted; instead of being craftsmen working with hand tools, they became machine operators, subject to factory discipline.
Finally, there was a psychological change: confidence in the ability to use resources and to master nature was heightened
- late 19-20 century
- basic materials, modern industry began exploited many natural and synthetic products
- laissez-faire ideas dominated the economic and social thought of all the classical I.R.
- govt. had a say in social and economic realms to meet the need of their more complex industrial societies
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
AP US History Chapter 4
Period 2 AP US History
APUSH 1st Semester Final
AP US History The Great Depression and New Deal
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
ENG 170 terms
ENG 170 terms
History 146 Exam #2
History 146 Exam #1