Upgrade to remove ads
PET Writing Part 1: Sentence Transformations
Terms in this set (279)
1) She is better at tennis than any other sport.
Tennis is her __________ sport.
2) Water is better for you than fizzy drinks.
Fizzy drinks aren't ___________ for you as water.
3) Magazines can be bought in this shop.
You ____________ magazines in this shop.
4) Sarah plays the violin very well.
Sarah is really __________ playing violin.
5) There are only a few parks in my neighbourhood.
There aren't very ___________ parks in my neighbourhood.
6) There are only a few cars in the car park.
There aren't ___________ cars in the car park.
7) He plays the guitar really well.
He's really _________ playing guitar.
8) If you want to drive a car, you need a driving licence.
You can't drive a car _________ you have a driving licence.
9) When she was young, she loved playing with Barbie.
She ________ love playing with Barbie when she was young.
10) There are six bedrooms in that house.
The house _______ six bedrooms.
11) I prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla.
I like chocolate ice cream __________ vanilla.
12) She took a long time to decide what to eat.
She spent a long time ___________ what to eat.
who / that
13) He was taught how to drive by a very good teacher.
The teacher _______ taught him how to drive was very good.
14) He was taught how to drive by a very good teacher.
A very good teacher __________ how to drive.
15) They run because they want to get fit.
We want to get fit, _____ we run.
Although / Though / Even though
16) He doesn't enjoy sports, but he cycles every day.
_________ he doesn't enjoy sports, he cycles every day.
17) We prefer P.E. to Language.
We like P.E. _________ Language.
should / ought to
18) It is a good idea to do exercise.
Everybody __________ do exercise.
19) Living in France is more exciting than going there on holiday.
Going on holiday to France isn't as _________ living there.
20) You can only be a teacher if you have a degree.
You can't be a teacher _________ you have a degree.
21) The moment he started living in France, his French improved.
His French improved as __________ he started living in France.
difficult / hard
22) Cooking is not easy.
It is _____________ to cook.
23) We're too young to drive a car.
We aren't ______________ to drive a car.
I would / I'd
24) You should stop playing and do your homework.
If I were you, ________ stop playing and do my homework.
25) He doesn't read much now but when he was a kid he loved it.
He ____________ read a lot when he was a child.
26) I prefer playing football to reading books.
I like playing football __________ reading books.
27) They made these boots in America.
These boots ___________ in America.
28) This toy was made in China.
They __________ this toy in China.
29) He finds maths boring.
He is ____________ by maths.
30) She sings better than anyone else.
She is ____________ singer.
31) It's too cold for swimming.
It isn't warm _____________ for swimming.
32) There is a bar in that restaurant.
That restaurant _______ a bar.
33) She must not smoke in the library.
She is not ____________ to smoke in the library.
34) Only girls can use this changing room.
You can only use this changing room ______ you are a girl.
35) Only girls can use this changing room.
You can't use this changing room ______ you are a girl.
36) The book was very boring.
It was ______ very interesting book.
37) The book was so boring that I couldn't read it.
It was _________ boring book that I couldn't read it.
38) When she was young, her family was rich.
Her family _______ be rich when she was young.
39) My friend asked me if I was ready.
My friend said, "_____ ready?"
40) When I was young I enjoyed swimming.
I ____________ enjoy swimming when I was young.
41) You can't play chess unless there are two players.
You can only play chess ____ there are two players.
42) The game is called chess.
The name _______ game is chess.
43) You can go together or by yourself.
You can go together or on ____________.
44) My parents and I enjoyed the film.
I enjoyed the film and so ________ my parents.
45) My sister said that she had never played chess.
My sister said, "I ___________ played chess."
46) Would you like to play chess now?
Shall __________ chess now?
47) Would you like to play chess now?
Do you fancy ___________ now?
48) David has lent me a very good bike.
I have _________ a very good bike from David.
49) Food in supermarkets is cheaper than in small shops.
Food in supermarkets costs _________ than in small shops.
50) His sister won the match last week.
Last week's match ___________ by his sister.
51) "You've done very well," said Maria's mother.
Maria's mother told her she ___________ very well.
52) Water is cheaper than wine.
Wine is not __________ as water.
53) The red car belongs to David.
David ____________ the red car.
54) Our library lends books to everybody.
Anybody can ________ books from our library.
55) We can only go out later if we finish our work.
We can't go out later _______ we finish our work.
56) I asked her how much the book cost.
I asked her, "How __________ the book cost?"
57) Lucy is often driven to school by her aunt.
Lucy's aunt often __________ to school.
58) You had a better mark than him.
He had a ___________ mark than you.
59) Jackie's heavier than she was two years ago.
Jackie has put _________________ in the last two years.
good at adding
60) Jason adds up figures well for someone his age.
Jason is _________________ up figures for someone his age.
61) Jane continued to work for the firm after the baby was born.
Jane went _________________ for the firm after the baby was born.
mean to insult
62) She had no intention of insulting you.
She didn't _________________ you.
mind if Paul
63) I have no objection to Paul coming as well.
I don't _________________ comes as well.
64) Predicting the weather is sometimes difficult.
It can be hard _________________ the weather.
afford to buy
65) I haven't got enough money to buy a new car.
I can't _________________ a new car.
66) Do you want us to postpone the meeting?
Shall _________________ off the meeting?
forward to going
67) Emma is excited about going to Greece on holiday.
Emma is looking _________________ to Greece on holiday.
used to getting
68) It's getting easier for me to get up early.
I am getting _________________ up early.
69) I couldn't hear what he said because of the noise.
The noise _________________ from hearing what he said.
dry enough to
70) It is impossible to sit on the grass becuse it is too wet.
The grass isn't _________________ sit on.
71) I haven't got any cigarettes left.
I've run _________________ cigarettes.
is not allowed
72) Mandy's boss doesn't let her leave work early.
Mandy _________________ to leave work early.
73) I'm not sorry I chose nursing as a career.
I don't _________________ nursing as a career.
where Tony was
74) 'Do you know where Tony is?' I asked my brother.
I asked my brother if he knew ______________ .
having my house
75) My house is being painted at the moment.
I am _________________ painted at the moment.
up your mind
76) Have you decided what you would like for dinner?
Have you made _________________ what you would like for dinner?
off on time
77) The plane left on time although the weather was bad.
The plane took _________________ although the weather was bad .
have been some
78) Some people have complained about the noise.
There _________________ complaints about the noise.
not as expensive
79) A holiday in Forida is cheaper than one in California.
A holiday in Florida is _________________ as one in California.
seen Alex since
80) The last time I saw Alex was at Jade's party.
I haven't _________________ Jade's party.
used to be
81) My brother was always on time until he got friendly with Jack.
My brother never _________________ late until he got friendly with Jack.
such a boring
82) The film was so boring that I fell asleep half way through it.
It was _________________ film that I fell asleep half way through it.
has been put
83) They've postponed the wedding until the spring.
The wedding _________________ off until the spring.
such a popular
84) The concert was very popular so they're going to put on a repeat performance.
It was __________________ concert that they're going to put on a repeat performance.
such an interesting
85) The book was so interesting that I couldn't put it down.
It was _________________ book that i couldn't put it down.
86) Some older people are finding it difficult to adjust to digital technology.
Some older people can't _______________ to digital technology.
have just been
87) Someone has just informed me that you're looking for a new job.
I _________________ informed that you're looking for a new job.
since I saw
88) The last time I saw my sister was three years ago.
It's been three years _________________ my sister.
much as men
89) In some jobs, men are paid more than women for the same work.
In some jobs women are not paid as _________________ for the same work.
90) None of my classmates enjoys mathematics as much as I do.
I enjoy mathematics ______________ any of my classmates.
91) I borrowed a very interesting computer game from my cousin.
My cousin ______________ a very interesting computer game.
as expensive as
92) The ticket for the circus performance was cheaper than I'd expected.
The ticket for the circus performance wasn't ________________ I'd expected.
93) I liked the clowns best, and my little sister did too.
I liked the clowns best, and _________did my little sister.
94) 'Who does this bag belong to?' my mother asked.
My mother asked,'________ is this bag?
95) We stayed until the circus closed.
We ______________ leave until the circus closed.
96) It doesn't matter to me if a film is dubbed or subtitled.
I don't ______ if a film is dubbed or subtitled.
near (close to)
97) The cinema isn't far from the centre.
The cinema is quite _________ the centre.
98) I finished this book in only three days.
It only __________ three days to finish this book.
is your bike
99) He asked my brother where his bike was.
He asked my brother, 'Where ___________ ?'
100) He is often given bottles of wine as presents.
People often ___________ bottles of wine as present.
101) He succeeded in repairing the bike on his own.
He was able ___________ the bike on his own.
102) Peter and his friends went cycling every day.
Every day Peter went cycling and ____________ his friends.
as bad as
103) The weather was better than they had expected.
The weather wasn't __________ they had expected.
104) I'm better at languages than any other subject.
Languages are my ____________ subject.
105) Fish is better for you than meat.
Meat isn't __________ for you as fish.
106) Snacks can be bought in the café.
You _____________in the café.
107) He can cook really well.
He's really __________ cooking.
108) There are only a few good restaurants in this area.
There aren't very ________ good restaurants in this area.
I went to
109) I haven't been to a concert for a long time.
It's a long time since __________ a concert.
110) Why don't you learn to play a musical instrument?
If I were you, _______ learn to play a musical instrument.
111) If you don't play the piano every day, you won't improve.
You won't improve unless____________ the piano every day.
112) There are only a few concerts this month.
There aren't very _________ concerts this month.
113) This room is too small for us to play music in.
This room isn't __________ for us to play music in.
as famous as
114) The Globe is more famous than most other theatres.
Most other theatres are not _______ The Globe.
115) Many of Shakespeare's plays are shown at The Globe Theatre.
The Globe Theatre _______________ many of Shgakespeare's plays.
116) The globe Theatre does not have a roof.
There ________ roof on The Globe Theatre.
117) The hotel has got two restaurants.
There ________________ two restaurants in the hotel.
118) I bought this car six months ago.
I ________________this car for six months.
119) I've known Jill for ten years.
I first ________________Jill ten years ago.
120) They arrived 10 minutes ago.
They________________ here for 10 minutes.
121) He's been a member of the tennis club for two years.
He ________________ the tennis club two years ago.
122) Italy's been a Republic since 1946.
Italy________________ a Republic in 1946.
123) We spent two hours writing the letters.
It ________________us two hours to write the letters.
124) It took me three hours to repair the car.
I ________________ three hours repairing the car.
125) We left when it stopped raining.
We didn't leave ________________ it stopped raining.
126) We didn't spend much money.
We only spent ________________ money.
127) There were only a few people at the meeting.
There ________________people at the meeting.
128) "Why don't we go to the cinema?" said Jane.
Jane ________________to the cinema.
129) You should buy a new car.
You ________________ to buy a new car.
130) How much does a three-bedroomed house cost?
What is ________________ of a three-bedroomed house.
131) I sent him an email because I wanted to tell him about the party.
I sent him an email ________________ order to tell him about the party.
132) I've never read such a good book.
This is ________________book I've ever read.
133) I've never had such a good meal.
That was the best meal I've ________________
134) There are more people here than yesterday.
There weren't ________________. people here yesterday as there are today.
135) I like Mary better than Jane.
I don't like Jane ________________ as Mary.
136) My son doesn't read as much as my daughter.
My daughter reads ________________ my son.
137) I haven't read a good novel for a long time.
It's a long time ________________ I read a good novel.
138) Why don't you borrow a book from the library.
If I were you, I ________________ borrow a book from the library.
as interesting as
139) I think that history books are more interesting than novels.
I think that novels are not _________________ history books.
140) There aren't many history books in my local library.
My local library has only a ________________ history books.
141) My brother is too young to read computer books.
My brother isn't ________________ to read computer books.
142) The owner of the new restaurant is a very rich man.
The new restaurant ________________ to a very rich man.
143) The Bluebell was designed by a famous architect.
A famous architect ________________ The Bluebell.
144) The Bluebell is more comfortable than other restaurants in the area.
Other restaurants in the area are not so _____________the Bluebell.
145) Janet got a new MP4 player three weeks ago.
Janet _____________ her new MP4 player for three weeks.
146) Janet was given the new MP4 player by her uncle.
Janet's uncle _____________ her the new MP4.
147) Jason's new netbook was cheaper than his old PC.
Jason's old PC was __________ than his new netbook.
148) Harry hadn't finished listening to a song when the doorbell rang.
Harry _____________ still listening to a song when the doorbell rang.
149) Simon never goes anywhere without taking his mobile phone. Simon takes his mobile phone _____________ he goes.
150) There are English and French dishes on The Bluebell's menu.
The Bluebell ______________________ got English and French dishes on its menu.
151) Meal prices at The Bluebell will change on 30 August.
Meal prices at The Bluebell will be the same _______________ 30 August.
152) The new sports centre has been open for a month.
The new sports centre _________________________ a month ago.
153) We spent an hour driving to the centre.
It took us an hour ___________________________
154) The car park had three lifts.
There were three lifts ________ the car park.
155) The centre was so big that we got lost in it.
We got lost in the centre _________ it was so big.
156) It was 5.30 pm when we left the centre.
We didn't leave the centre ___________________ 5.30
157) Our trip to the new sports centre was enjoyable.
We _____________________ our trip to the new sports centre
158) I was given a new digital camera for my birthday by my grandfather.
My grandfather ___________ a new camera for my birthday.
few (couple of, small number of)
159) So far, I I've only taken a _________ photos with my new camera.
So far,haven't taken many photos with my new camera.
you show me
160) My uncle asked me if I would show him my new laptop.
My uncle said, "Please, would ______________ your laptop?"
not / don't you / don't we
161) He suggested trying a different operating system.
He said, "Why ____________ try a different operating system?"
162) It would be good if I went on a computer course.
I really ought __________ on a computer course.
cost of / price of
163) My father is finding out how much a four-week computer course costs.
My father is finding out the __________ a four-week computer course.
164) I haven't been to a concert for a long time.
It's a long time since I ____________a concert
165) Why don't you learn a musical instrument?
If I were you, ________________learn a musical instrument.
166) If you don't practise the piano every day, you won't improve.
You won't improve unless ____________ the piano every day
167) There are only a few concerts this month.
There aren't very _____________ concerts this month.
168) This room is too small for us to play music in.
This room isn't ________________ for us to play music in.
169) I prefer playing the guitar to playing the piano.
I like playing the guitar ________________ playing the piano.
170) It took them a long time to decide which concert to go to
They spent a long time ___________ which concert to go to
as tall as
171) Peter is taller than Jermaine.
Jermaine isn't ________________ Peter.
don't have to
172) The concert is free.
You _________ pay to get into the concert.
173) It is compulsory to carry an ID card.
You __________ to carry an ID card.
174) Smoking is forbidden here.
You ____________ smoke here.
175) Would you like another drink?
Do you ________________ another drink?
176) Do you want to play cards? .
________________ you like to play cards?
177) "I won't be late."
She said she ________________ be late.
178) "I can't swim."
She told me she ________________ swim.
179) "I've never been to London."
He said he ____________ never been to London.
her name was
180) "What's your name?"
He asked the girl what ________________.
to stand up
181) "Stand up, please."
The teacher told the class ________________ .
not to speak
182) "Don't speak Spanish."
The teacher told the class ______________ Spanish.
183) "Where do you live?"
He asked the girl where ________________
184) Someone showed me the letter.
I ________________ the letter.
185) This book was written by my aunt.
My aunt ________________ this book.
so hot that
186) It was too hot to go for a walk.
It was _________ we didn't go for a walk.
187) He isn't old enough to drive a car.
He is ________________to drive a car.
188) I don't have enough money to go on holiday this year.
I ________________ to go on holiday this year.
had my car
189) A mechanic repaired my car last week.
I ____________ repaired last week.
190) If she doesn't invite me, I won't go to the party.
I won't go to the party ____________ she invites me.
191) Is that your book?
Does that book ________________ you?
192) Jim lent Pete some money.
Pete ________________some money from Jim.
193) Would you like me to help you?
____________ help you?
194) Carrie arrived at the airport two hours ago.
Carrie ___________ at the airport for two hours.
195) He had a really old computer before.
He ____________ have a really old computer.
196) Maria isn't as tall as her sister.
Maria is ___________ her sister.
197) One of my friends gave me this book.
A friend ____________ gave me this book.
198) Magazines are sold in that shop now.
That shop _____________ magazines now.
199) There is a big swimming pool at the sports centre.
The sports centre _____________ a big swimming pool.
200) It was such a good cake they bought another one.
The cake was _____________ they bought another one.
201) Her English won't improve if she doesn't practise.
Her English won't improve ________________ practises.
had never been
202) It was the first time Bob had been to the Science Museum.
Bob _______________ to the Science Museum before.
203) Beth suggested joining a dance class.
Beth said: "Why ______________ join a dance class?"
204) They like rock more than pop music.
They ________________ to pop music.
205) You can't smoke in the library.
You are ______________ to smoke in the library.
206) Susan lent me her blue pullover.
I ____________Susan's blue pullover.
207) Jason is too careless to drive that car! Jason isn't ________________ to drive that car!
208) Last year the King School had more than 500 students.
Last year there _______________ more than 500 students.
209) I asked at Reception about the price of a conversation course. I asked at Reception : ,How much ______________________ a conversation course cost?'
210) The coursebook is included in the price of the course.
The price of the course _________________ the coursebook.
cheapest (least expensive)
211) All the other schools in town are more expensive than the Kings School.
The King School is the ___________________ expensive of all schools in town.
212) Students are not allowed to attend classes if they have not paid the fee.
Students are not allowed to attend classes ________ they have paid the fee.
the most interesting
213) People say there is no other castle as interesting as this one in Europe.
People say that this is _____________ castle in Europe.
214) The castle opened to the public last year.
The castle ___________ open to public since last year.
215) Students are allowed to visit the castle without paying anything.
Students _____________ have to pay anything to visit the castle.
216) Visitors are always met at the door by the owner, Mr Brandon.
Mr Brandon, always ___________ visitors at the door.
217) I asked Mr Brandon if he lived in the castle when he was a child.
I asked Mr Brandon : ' ___ live in the castle when you were a child?'
218) My friend suggested we went to a music festival together.
My friend said: "Why _______________ we go to a music festival together?
219) I had never been to a music festival before.
It was the ________ that I had ever been to a music festival.
220) The tickets were cheaper than we expected.
The tickets weren't as _________________ we had expected.
221) My brother lent us a tent, as it was a two-day festival.
It was a two-day festival, so we ________ a tent from my brother.
222) The camping area was near to the main stage.
The camping area wasn't ______ the main stage.
223) We watched some bands in the rain but we didn't mind.
We didn't mind __________ some of the bands in the rain.
224) I can't wait to go to the festival again next year.
I'm looking _____________ going to the festival again next year.
225) You can't play Monopoly unless there are at least two players.
You can only play Monopoly ______ there are at least two players.
226) You can play Monopoly on a team or by yourself.
You can play Monopoly in a team or on _______ own.
227) I enjoy the game, and my parents enjoy it too.
I enjoy the game and so ____ my parents.
228) I like chocolate, and my sister likes it too.
I like chocolate, and so _____ my sister.
229) I am a fan of Real Madrid, and my uncle is, too.
I am a fan of Real Madrid, and so ______ my uncle.
230) I eat an apple every day, and my teacher eats one too.
I eat an apple every day, and so ______ my teacher.
231) My friend said that she had never visited New York.
My friend siad, "I __________ visited New York."
have seen your
232) My mum said she had seen my uncle at the shop.
My mum said, "I ____________ uncle at the shop."
233) My friends told me they weren't going to go to the park.
My friends said, "We _______ going to go to the park".
234) My friends said they hadn't finished their homework.
My friends said, "We ________ finished our homework."
235) What about playing the game now?
Shall ____________ the game now?
236) Shall we go to the park now?
What ________ going to the park now?
237) Shall we go to the park now?
Let's _______ the park now.
238) I have nothing in my pocket.
I don't have _________ in my pocket.
239) I don't see ________ in the box.
I see ____________ in the box.
240) The sign says nothing about the shop's opening hours.
The sign doesn't say _____ about the shop's opening hours.
241) People are usually taller in the USA than in Spain.
Spanish people are not as ______ people in the USA.
242) The toilets must be cleaned every day by the cleaning staff.
The cleaning staff must ______ the toilets every day.
243) Mobile phones must not be brought to school by children.
Children mustn't __________ mobile phones to school.
244) Each building has 10 flats.
In each building _______ are 10 flats.
245) The city has about 20 parks.
In the city _______ are about 20 parks.
246) People can't take dogs into most restaurants.
At most restaurants, ________ possible for people to take their dogs inside.
247) At most museums, it isn't possible for people to carry large bags with them.
People ________ carry large bags inside most museums.
248) The wedding was celebrated in a garden.
The wedding ______ place in a garden.
249) This is Mary's favourite book.
Mary likes this book ___________ any other book.
250) Dolphins are my favourite marine animal.
I like dolphins _________ any other marine animal.
251) Sergio has never travelled to Italy before.
This is the _________ that Sergio has travelled to Italy.
252) This is the first time I've been on a plane.
I ______ been on a plane before.
253) I use my computer for writing emails to friends.
I use my computer _____ write emails to friends.
254) She went to the post office because she wanted to pick up a parcel.
She went to the post office _____ pick up a parcel.
255) They use their notebooks for doing exercises.
The use their notebooks to ______ exercises.
256) Maria likes watching music videos on YouTube, and all her friends do too.
Maria likes watching music videos on YouTube, and _____ do all her friends.
showed / taught
257) Elena was shown how to do a magic trick by Adrián.
Adrián ______ Elena how to do a magic trick.
258) The pizza was eaten by everyone in the class.
Everyone in the class ______ the pizza.
259) The students were shown what to do in case of fire by the teachers.
The teachers _______ the pupils what to do in case of fire.
showed / taught
260) The pupils were shown how to make a basket by an elderly man.
An elderly man ________ the pupils how to make a basket.
261) I began playing basketball 4 years ago.
I've been playing basket ball _____ 4 years.
262) I live quite near the school.
I don't live very ______ the school.
263) She goes to an academy that isn't far from her house.
She goes to an academy that is quite _____ her house.
264) I brush my teeth in 5 minutes.
It _______ me 5 minutes to brush my teeth.
265) She walked to school in 4 minutes' time.
It ______ her 4 minutes to walk to school.
266) I've finished this art project in 4 days' time.
It has _________ me 4 days to finish this art project.
267) I have an important exam today in English class.
There _____ an important exam today in my English class.
268) His football team had a match yesterday.
There ____ a match yesterday for his team.
269) It's too hot to play football.
It isn't cool ______ to play football.
270) She's too young to watch this film.
She isn't old ______ to watch this film.
271) You're not old enough to vote.
You're ______ young to vote.
272) There are only a few public swimming pools in this city.
There aren't very ______ public swimming pools in this city.
273) Why don't you go to the doctor?
If I were you, I ______ to the doctor.
274) If I were you, I would ask for help.
____ don't you ask for help?
275) I haven't been to the cinema for 4 months.
It's been 4 months since _____ to the cinema.
a long time
276) It's been a long time since we last saw each other.
We haven't seen each other for _______.
277) It's been a long time since she came to visit us.
She ______ to visit us for a long time.
278) It took us a long time to finish our homework.
We spent a long time _______ our homework.
279) She took a long time to walk home.
She ______ a long time walking home.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
PET Result Unit 6 "Homes and lifestyles": adjectiv…
Pass me the past tense: functions
Pass me the past tense: define the examples
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
PET Writing Part 1 2018- ALL THE TESTS IN THE WORL…
PET Writing Part 1: Sentence Transformations
PET Sentence Transformations II
Fry's First One Hundred Words with sentences
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Aramco Unit 1 E2F The Early Days
Working from Heights SPSP Unit 8
Keep Writing SPSP Unit 6 the Painting