a spiritual discipline that involves deep relaxation and emptying distracting thoughts from the mind
How did Buddhism arrive in Japan?
Buddhism originated in India, then passed through China and Korea before arriving in Japan
Who wrote classic works of Japanese literature during the Heian period?
Court women, such as Lady Murasaki.
How did the Heian period affect Japan today?
Japan's culture has influenced Japan, especially in literature and drama.
- commander~in~chief of a military government.
- capital city of the military govrnment was Kamakura.
- 1st Shogun was Minamoto Yoritomo in 1192.
- professional warrior, became the ruling class until 1868 (700 years later).
- Samurai = "those who serve" = intensely loyal.
Rise of the Samurai
- rewarded with land and government jobs.
- in return they served the Shogun.
- trained in warfare, especially archery.
- women also trained and could become Samurai.
- military/warrior lord who was obedient to Shogun.
- supported by his army of Samurai.
- over time, by the 1400's, the Daimyos became so powerful that they set up independent kingdoms and fought each other for power.
- 1603, Tokugawa Teyasu defeated all other Daimyos and became Shogun, uniting Japan under one leader.
- moved the capitol to Edo/Tokyo.
- heavy armor made of rows of small metal plates coated with lacquer and tied together with silk cords.
- shinguards protected legs.
- strong and flexible, so easy to move in.
- box~like panels covered chest and block, metal sleeves, shoulder and hip guards.
- wore fierce masks and iron helmets.