5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- John Updike
- a a words dictionary meaning without any emotional associations
- b has a formal tone that laments the death of someone
- c "Ex-Basketball Player"
- d the character who speaks in or narrates the poem
- e emotional attitude toward the reader or toward the subject implied by a literary work
5 Multiple choice questions
- a poem that tells a story
- "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
- a figure of speech in which an animal, thing, force of nature, or an idea is described as if it were human or is given human characteristics
- "I Know I am but Summer to your heart"
5 True/False questions
dramatic irony → a writer says something but means another
Naomi Shihab Nye → "Making a Fist"
diction → the author's choice of words
blank verse → language that creates pictures by appealing to the senses of sight, sound, touch, taste and smell
onomatopoeia → a words dictionary meaning without any emotional associations