5 Written questions
5 Multiple choice questions
- Alliances of corporations and banks that dominate the Japanese economy.
- A change in the rates of population growth. Before the transition, both birth and death rates are high, resulting in a slowly growing population; then the death rate drops but the birth rate remains high, causing a population explosion.
- Eighteenth-century English intellectual who warned that population growth threatened future generations because, in his view, population growth would always outstrip increases in agricultural production.
- During the Cold War, local or regional wars in which the superpowers armed, trained, and financed the combatants.
- Members of a leftist coalition that overthrew the Nicaraguan dictatorship of Anastasia Somoza in 1979 and attempted to install a socialist economy. The United States financed armed opposition by the Contras. The Sandinistas lost national elections in 1990.
5 True/False questions
Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini → Socialist politician elected president of Chile in 1970 and overthrown by the military in 1973. He died during the military attack.
Deng Xiaoping → Policy of 'openness' that was the centerpiece of Mikhail Gorbachev's efforts to liberalize communism in the Soviet Union.
Salvador Allende → Socialist politician elected president of Chile in 1970 and overthrown by the military in 1973. He died during the military attack.
Dirty War → War waged by the Argentine military (1976-1982) against leftist groups. Characterized by the use of illegal imprisonment, torture, and executions by the military.
perestroika → Alliances of corporations and banks that dominate the Japanese economy.