1. Denial - Refusal to accept diagnosis or care, unrealistic demands for miracles, or persistent failure to understand why there is no improvement
2. Anger, hostility - Projection of bad news onto the environment and commonly in all directions.
3. Bargaining - An attempt to secure a prize for good behavior or promise to change lifestyle.
4. Depression - Internalized anger, hopelessness, and the desire to die.
5. Acceptance - Acceptance of impending death by the patient, or the acceptance of the death of a loved one.