Create an account
1. biological basis of thought & behavior
2. focus is on the brain & nervous system
3. human nature is passive & mechanical = b/c everything is pre-programmed in the genes (cannot change behavior)
4. behavior is determined by hereditary & biochemical processes
5. Theorists = Many, Roger Sperry (split brain procedures), Dr. Ben Carson (pediatric neurosurgeon - epilepsy, seizures)
1. powerful inner drive shapes behavior
2. drives are unconscious
3. instinct driven (deeply imbedded in the mind)
4. behavior is determined by the genes & early experiences
5. Theorist = Sigmund Freud
1. Emphasizes the role of the environment in shaping behavior
2. focus is on overt or observable behaviors = everything you can see
3. the study of behavior as it relates to stimulus conditions = rewards, punishment
4. behavior is reactive & modifiable = ability to change
5. Theorist = John Watson
1. examines both behavior & mental processes
2. Behavior is active & reactive
3. Theorist = Albert Bandura
1. conscious experiences = complete aware
2. belief that people are basically good & have free will to choose their destiny
3. the central drive in personality is SELF-ACTUALIZATION, the drive to fulfill your potential
4. potential only flourishes in a supportive environment = basic needs are met
5. behavior is potentially self-directed
6. Theorists = Carl Rogers & Abraham Maslow
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together