Upgrade to remove ads
Dental Hygiene III - Chapter 45 - The Pregnant Patient
Dental Hygiene III - Chapter 45 - The Pregnant Patient
Terms in this set (56)
Pregnancy is divided into __ periods of months?
Normal pregnancy is __ weeks?
Pre-mature birth is considered if before __ weeks?
injuries and malformations
The embryo is very susceptible during the 1st trimester to __?
By the __ week the fetus is moving and swallowing.
5 & 6th
Between the ___ weeks tooth buds develop.
4th and 5th
Tooth mineralization occurs between the __ & __ month
Lips form during which weeks?
Palate forms during which weeks?
Cleft lip is evident by this time.
Cleft palate is evident by this time .
the last two trimesters
The organs are completed during __?
Fetus continues to grow to an average of __ pounds by delivery.
Periodontal Infection in the mother
This can be a significant risk factor for preterm delivery which equals low birth weight?
Make sure women have all vaccines offered during childbearing age to prevent __?
T/F NO meds should be used during pregnancy as all drugs can cross placenta an cause harm to the fetus.
ability to cause birth defects
Effects of tetracycline
This causes intrinsic staining of teeth, if antibiotic needed during pregnancy choose different one
Therapy for HIV infection
In this case, the mother may choose to hold off on antiretroviral tx until after 14th week.
Name some drugs of abuse that can effect a fetus:
Herbal Dietary Supplements
These drugs are not monitored by FDA and can be purchased otc.
hormonal factors can be a predisposing factor for what condition during pregnancy?
Which gingivitis related bacteria has been found in elevated numbers during pregnancy?
pyogenic granuloma or pregnancy tumor
This is an isolated lesion usually found interdental spaces and lesion may be removed during pregnancy (can reoccur).
This is a pregnancy related gingival enlargement that bleeds easily but is usually painless
Chronic morning sickness can cause this condition
1. use rinse after vomiting to neutralize acid, 2. chew sugarless gum after eating,
3. eat healthy throughout the day.
Some ways to counter enamel erosion cause by morning sickness are __?
3. Perio TX
4. Overall TX
Aspects of pregnant patient care are __?
1. Early appointment: to start good oral hygiene
2. Medical history: may be diseases that can complicate pregnancy
3. Consultation: consult physician if you feel necessary
The assessment phase of the pregnant patient includes __?
1. Only take necessary radiographs,
2. Always use the lead apron, thyroid collar
3. Apron must cover back
The Radiography phase of the pregnant patient includes __?
1. Most procedures are accepted
2. complicated elective surgical periodontal tx is held off until after delivery
The Perio Tx phase of the pregnant patient includes __?
1. Reinforcing Good Oral hygiene
2. Elective tx should be completed during the second trimester or early third
3. Restorative procedures should use permanent materials because the patient may not return if a temp is placed
The Overall Tx phase of the pregnant patient includes __?
the second trimester or early third
Elective tx should be completed during __?
1. Depending on pat's needs
2. Could be monthly (i.e. 3 times during pregnancy)
3. Shorter appts are better
4. Postpartum maintenance appts: dental care is encouraged
Appointment Planning Frequency for the pregnant patient should be __?
1. Patient positioning: may have to alter patient positioning for comfort
2. Preventive measures:lots of time spent on patient education
3. Instrumentation: local anesthesia (2nd and 3rd tri) may be used if cleared by physician
4. Fluoride program: professional and self-application recommended, especially with rampant decay
Clinical care for the pregnant patient includes __?
may have to alter patient positioning for comfort
How must patient positioning be adjusted for the pregnant patient?
lots of time spent on patient education
What preventative measure must be adjusted for the pregnant patient?
Avoid the use of local anesthesia if possible (2nd and 3rd tri may be used if cleared by physician)
What aspect of instrumentation must be adjusted for the pregnant patient?
Professional and self-application are BOTH recommended, especially with rampant decay
How is fluoride used during pregnancy planning?
Continue educating pat on importance of maintaing good OH..side effects of perio dx can be harmful to fetus
How is it best to prevent perio Dx in the pregnant patient?
1. Explain risk to fetus about smoking.
2. Offer smoking cessation program (pg. 514-517)
Your job as a hygienist when dealing with the pregnant smoking patient?
1. Proper diet during pregnancy
2. Calcium and the mothers teeth
3. Relationship of fluoride
Dental Caries Control in the pregnant patient is best handled how?
2. Domestic Violence
Special Problems that may require a referral during pregnancy?
1. Be able to recognize signs of depression
2. Impact on fetus
3. Refer to physician if needed
Your job as a hygienist if depression is suspected in your pregnant patient?
1. Be able to identify: most common sites are head, face, neck
2. Address with patient and refer to Domestic Violence Intervention Program
Your job as a hygienist if domestic violence is suspected in your pregnant patient?
a testing procedure on fluid aspirated from the amniotic sac to detect chromosomal abnormalities
the innermost of the membranes enveloping the embryo in utero
nonspecific term referring to growth on the gingiva
the most potent natural estrogen in humans
developing organism from month 2 to birth
the period of pregnancy
nonspecific term applied to the nodular inflammatory lesion containing macrophages and surrounded by lymphocytes
Pyogenic granuloma is a misnomer because?
it does not contain pus but instead contains blood vessels & inflammatory cells
occuring during childbirth
childbirth, labor, giving birth
woman who has just given birth to a child
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Dental Hygiene III - Chapter 46 - Pediatric Oral H…
Dental Hygiene III - Chapter 48 - Preadolescent to…
Dental Hygiene III - Chapter 62 - The Pa…
Dental Hygiene III - Chapter 63 - The Patient With…
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 26: Female Genitourinary System and Chapte…
chapter 19 nursing of the family during postpartum…
Maternal Child Nursing Care Chapter 8 Nursing Care…
Maternal Child Nursing Care Chapter 19 Nursing Car…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Biology 102 FINAL EXAM
BIO 102 - Chapter 12
BIO 102 - Chapter 10
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
muscle 141 exam