Create an account
Zionism - who, idea, belief, movement
1. who - Jewish people who believed Israel was their holy land
2. ideas/beliefs - movement/migration to escape, establish a Jewish state
3. worldwide Jewish treatment - poor, harsh, discriminated against
Balfour Declaration - who/when (cause and effect)
1. Balfour declaration - Britain's support for the Jewish homeland in Palestine
2. causes - allies, Zionism, immigration
3. effects - betrayal, anger, unfair, Jewish population is pleased
Partition of Palestine - reasons/results
reasons - British leave, compromise/agreement, control will be lost if they don't do something about it
results - Arabs have very little coast and very little share of the land, thought that all of their land was worthless
Arab-Israeli War/Six-Day War - geographical impacts
Palestinians lost a ton of land as well as the West Bank and Gaza Strip
West Bank/Gaza Strip
"occupied" territories in Israel, originally to be Palestinian lands under the partition
name - Palestinian Liberation Organization
who - Palestinians in exile government
role - destroy Israel through attacks, terrorism, and to liberate Palestine
1. Palestinians - early settlers, homeland was Palestine, ancestors that lived here
2. Jews - ancestors also settled here, believed that Palestine was their holy land, they have lived here for centuries
Fertile Crescent (Mesopotamia) - location, importance
stretches from modern day Iraq to Israel; important because it was the birthplace of both agriculture and civilization
Tigris/Euphrates - geographical impacts, location, advantages
1. location - Iraq
2. geographical impacts/advantages - fertile plain,urban centers, irrigation makes them have better growing and more successful crops, electricity, freshwater provides water to drink and the continuation of an agricultural society
Petroleum - what, impacts on the Middle East
oil, impacts include wealth, greed, development, infrastructure, and exporting
Endorheic vs. Exorheic Basins
endorheic - drainage basin that retains water and allows no outflow
exorheic - basin where water flows out
Dead Sea - characteristics, location, geographical importance/benefits
lowest point on earth, so salty nothing can survive in it, hypersaline, endorheic, part of the Great Rift Valley, therapeutic properties, healing powers, minerals
OPEC - who, purpose
OPEC is Venezuela, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Iran that get together to discuss how much oil to produce and at what price to sell it; cartel; monopoly; has the power to regulate
Oasis - formation, importance
a fertile tract in a desert (where the water table approaches the surface)
Peak Oil - idea and meaning
when oil extraction rates max out and begin to decline, the demand and cost for oil will go upwards, and the supply will go downwards
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together