Create an account
(n.): the projecting part (the part that sticks out) of a dogs head that includes the mouth, nose, and jaw.
n. a grammatical category of verbs used to express distinctions of time
v. become stretched or tense or taut;
adj. 1. in or of a state of physical or nervous tension
2. taut or rigid; stretched tight;
1. preserved and stored in airtight cans or tins canned meat
2. Informal prepared or recorded in advance; artificial; not spontaneous canned music
3. a slang word for drunk 
(n.): the leather straps and metal pieces by which a horse or mule is fastened to a vehicle.
A low hoarse sound, as that characteristic of frogs and crows.
1. To utter in a low hoarse sound.
n. caramelized sugar cooled in thin sheets
adj. 1. having little elasticity; hence easily cracked or fractured or snapped;
2. lacking warmth and generosity of spirit;
n. 1.the quality of being worthy of esteem or respect;
2. formality in bearing and appearance;
"cuckoo" (pg 39)
n. 1. a man who is a stupid incompetent fool
2. any of numerous European and North American birds having pointed wings and a long tail
adj. able and willing to listen to and accept information, new ideas, etc. Slim is willing to listen to what George is about to tell him.
"bust" (pg 40)
n. 1. a complete failure;
2. the chest of a woman
3. a sculpture of the head and shoulders of a person
4. an occasion for excessive eating or drinking;
n. 1.a person or thing that is annoying or troublesome
2. (law) a broad legal concept including anything that disturbs the reasonable use of your property or endangers life and health or is offensive
adv. in a beseeching manner; "`You must help me,' she said imploringly"; beseeching: begging;
n. 1. material consisting of seed coverings and small pieces of stem or leaves that have been separated from the seeds
2. short stiff hairs growing on a man's face when he has not shaved for a few days
n. machine in which rotating records cause a stylus to vibrate and the vibrations are amplified acoustically or electronically
n. 1. any of various dark heavy viscid substances obtained as a residue
2. a man who serves as a sailor
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together