5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Confederate Systems
- Representative Democracy
- Consent of the Governed
- New Jersey Plan
- a all state government gives power to national governemtn. Have a weak national government.
- b formal approval, final consent to the effectiveness of a constitution, constitutional amendment, or treaty
- c A system of government in which citizens elect representatives, or leaders, to make decisions about the laws for all the people.
- d Opposite of the Virginia Plan, it proposed a single-chamber congress in which each state had one vote. This created a conflict with representation between bigger states, who wanted control befitting their population, and smaller states, who didn't want to be bullied by larger states.
- e agreement by the people of a nation to subject themselves to the authority to a government. Natural rights philosophers, such as John Locke, believe that any legitimate government must draw its authority from the consent of the governed.
5 Multiple choice questions
- powers given to the state government alone
- Clause of the Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3) setting forth the implied powers of Congress. It states that Congress, in addition to its express powers, has the right to make all laws necessary and proper to carry out all powers the Constitution vests in the national government
- The effort to slow the growth of the federal government by returning many functions to the states.
- by James Madison, says how to guard against factions, special interest groups, by extending the sphere and making sure nobody gets too much power
- federal grants for specific purposes, such as building an airport
5 True/False questions
Articles of Confederation → way of interpreting the Constitution that allows the federal government to take only those actions the Constitution specifically says it can take
Federalism → a form of government in which power is divided between the federal, or national, government and the states
the "Commerce Clause" → A state's representation in the House of Representation would be based on population; Two senators for each state; all bills would originate in the house; direct taxes on states were to be assessed according to population
Loose Construction → way of interpreting the Constitution that allows the federal government to take only those actions the Constitution specifically says it can take
Unitary Governments → A way of organizing a nation so that all power resides in the central government. Most national government today are these.