5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- What are homologous structures? What information do they provide us with?
- Chapter 14
- Briefly describe the difference between Meiosis 1 and Meiosis 2
- What are purines and pyrimidines?
- a Purines are bases of DNA (Adenine and Guanine)
-composed of 2 rings of carbon and nitrogen per base
Pyrimidines are bases of DNA (Thymine and Cytosine)
-composed of one ring of carbon and nitrogen atoms per base
- b ...
- c Characteristics that are similar in two or more species and that have been inherited from a common ancestor of those species.
Provides information of common ancestry between species.
- d Meiosis 1: 1st phase of meiosis includes crossing over and ends up dividing into 2 diploid cells
Meiosis 2: 2nd phase of meiosis divides the sister chromosomes into 4 genetically unique haploid cells.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The making of more of the same species.
The two main types are sexual and asexual reproduction.
Sexual- genetic material is donated from two parents to make a genetically unique offspring.
Asexual- genetic material is donated from one parent to make a genetically identical offspring.
- 47 chromosomes
Down's is caused by trisomy 21
Caused by non disjunction of chromosomes during meiosis
- They regulatory proteins and activate or repress transcription of specific genes
5 True/False questions
What are the steps in DNA replication? How would you describe the final outcome? → 1) Unwinding and separating DNA strands
2) Adding complementary bases
3) Formation of two identical DNA molecules
Two daughter strands are made of half old and half new
Can scientists predict the path of evolution? → Several species of a animal evolving from a common ancestor and through the generations as they move to different environments they all evolve with their environment becoming new species
What is punctuated equilibrium? → The link between microevolution and macroevolution, and is the formation of new species
What makes one protein different from another? → Is a vaginal infection caused by a fungal organism causing discharge, vaginal itching, painful urination and can usually be cured by pre scripted medicine.
What is speciation? → The link between microevolution and macroevolution, and is the formation of new species