5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is evolution? Why does it occur?
- What are the types of DNA mutations? Describe each
- What causes secondary sex characteristics in males and females? What secondary sex characteristics do males and females show?
- What are some problems associated with nicotine dependence?
- Chapter 13
- a The process of change by which new species develop from preexisting species over time
The idea of natural election if why evolution happens
Individuals with traits advantageous to survival will produce more offspring
Over time the number of individuals possessing those traits will increase in a population
- b ...
- c Males: testosterone / Secondary traits:
increase in height, longer and heavier bones, broader shoulders, thicker and tougher skin, deepened voice, facial hair, pubic hair, body hair, enlarged penis, scrotum, testes and formation of sperm
Females: estrogen / Secondary traits:
weight gain in breast, hips and buttocks, increase height, widening of hip, softer and smoother skin, growth of pubic hair and underarm hair, increase in breast size, enlargement of external genitalia, formation of ova, beginning of menstruation
- d Point mutation- caused by change of a single nucleotide (usually silent mutation)
Insertion or Deletion- caused by addition or subtraction of one or more nucleotides in a sequence (frameshift mutation)
Silent mutation- caused by change in a nucleotide of a gene but that change has no effect on the protein produced (usually point mutation)
Missense mutation- results when a codon is changed and causes a different amino acid to be put into the protein (replacement mutation)
Frameshift mutation- caused by addition or deletion of nucleotides (insertion or deletion)
Nonsense mutation- results when a codon for an amino acid if changed to a stop codon
-amino acids usually cut short
- e Some problems include: rewiring of the brain when used, dulls taste buds, constricts blood vessels, increase heart rate and blood pressure, prevents lungs from absorbing oxygen properly, causes lung cancer and increase risk of other forms of cancer, major cause of death from heart and blood vessel disease and stroke, and cause of gum disease and tooth loss.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Built a 3D model of a DNA molecule
- To determine genotype of a parent who is expressing the dominate allele; to see if this parent is homozygous dominant or heterozygous.
- Fossil record- shows a pattern of gradual change from past to present
Biogeography- shows that similar environmental conditions contribute to similar development
Developmental biology- shows similarity in embryonic development in organisms deriving from a common ancestor
Anatomy- shows similarity of structures n organisms that are related or descended from a common ancestor
Biochemistry- similarity in amino acid sequences of proteins or DNA give evidence of common ancestry
- The sequence of amino acids.
- 1) friends who use
2) low self esteem
3) lack of involvement in activities
4) availability of drugs
5 True/False questions
Health → Mutation in the cell cycle
What is punctuated equilibrium? → The link between microevolution and macroevolution, and is the formation of new species
Briefly describe the diploid life cycle? → Several species of a animal evolving from a common ancestor and through the generations as they move to different environments they all evolve with their environment becoming new species
What is artificial selection? → The idea that breeders may select traits that are more desirable by using only certain types of breeds that have the traits they want
What are the three main categories of STD? → They regulatory proteins and activate or repress transcription of specific genes