characteristics of an emotionally healthy person.
* determination and effort to be healthy
*flexibility and adaptability to a variety of circumstances.
* development of a sense of meaning and affirmation of life.
* An understanding that the self is not the center of the universe.
* Compassion for others.
* The ability to be unselfish in serving or relating to others.
* Increased depth and satisfaction in intimate relationships.
* A sense of control over the mind and body that enables the person to make health-enhancing choices and decisions.
a sense of positive energy and engagement in life, correlates to physical vitality.
describes our ability to perceive reality as it is, to respond to its challenges, and to develop rational strategies for living.
Characteristics of mental health
* The ability to function and carry out responsibilities.
* Realistic perceptions of the motivations of others.
* The ability to form relationships.
* Rational, logical thought processes.
* The ability to adapt to change and to cope with adversity.
The set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices of a group that are internalized by an individual within the group.
What are the three major areas of positive psychology?
* positive emotions (hope and trust)
* positive traits (wisdom and courage)
* positive institutions (strong families and democracy)
a term used by psychologists to evaluate the capacity of people to understand themselves and relate well with others.
a state of wellness and fulfillment that can be achieved once certain human needs are statisfied; living to one's full potential
the ability to draw on internal resources; independence from familial and societal influences.
locus of control
an individual's belief about the sources of power and influence over his or her life.
a feeling of unconnectedness with others caused by and reinforced by infrequency of social contacts.
behaving in a confident manner to make your needs and desires clear to others in a non-hostile way.