Create an account
The amount of a pure substance that contains the same number of particles as there are atoms of carbon-12 in 12g of 12C
The spontaneous movement or spreading out of a substance to fill a space due to the natural movement of its particles
The temperature at which a gas would occupy no volume, if it could be cooled indefinitely without becoming a liquid or a solid
At constant temperature, the volume of a fixed mass of gas is inversely proportional to its pressure.
At constant pressure, the volume of a fixed mass of gas is directly proportional to its temperature measured on the Kelvin scale.
Gay-Lussac's Law of Combining Volumes
In a reaction between gases, the volumes of the reacting gases and the volumes of any gaseous products are in the ratio of small whole numbers provided the volumes are measured at the same temperature and pressure.
Equal volumes of gases contain equal numbers of molecules, under the same conditions of temperature and pressure.
Assumptions of the Kinetic theory of Gases
1. Gases are made up of particles that are in continuous motion, colliding with each other and with the walls of the container.
2. There are no attractive or repulsive forces between the molecules of a gas.
3. The volume of the gas molecules is negligible compared with the spaces between them.
4. When molecules collide, the collisions are perfectly elastic.
5. The average kinetic energy of the molecules is proportional to the temperature in Kelvin scale.
Limitations to the Kinetic theory of Gases
1. There are attractive and repulsive forces between the molecules of a gas.
2. The volume of the molecules is not negligible compared with the space that they occupy.
3. Collisions are not perfectly elastic.
The formula showing the simplest whole number ratio of the numbers of different atoms present in the molecule
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together