Upgrade to remove ads
World History Topic 15 Study Guide
Terms in this set (34)
1. What were some of the main causes for Imperialism, know some examples.
Economic--New resources and new markets
Political and Military--new land
Humanitarian and Religious--spread the Western civilization
2. What were the advantages that the western powers had?
3. Compare and contrast Direct and Indirect forms of Imperial rule.
They both would send officials to help govern their colonies. (officials, soldiers, advisers etc.)
The main difference is that Indirect Rule where the local ruling class is not replaced but had their power limited
4. What part of Africa was under the Ottoman control before the Europeans started dividing it up?
5. Who are the Boers?
Descendants of Dutch farmers/settlers
6. What areas were set up as colonies for former slaves who wanted to return to Africa?
7. What does it mean to have a paternalistic view?
Meaning they saw them as children in need of guidance (parent to child kind of relationship)
8. Which European power ended up with the following countries...Egypt, Congo, Tanzania, and Algeria
9. Which country was ruled by Menelik II was able to stay indpendent in Africa during Imperialism?
10. Summarize the Boer War.
Britain fought with the Boers (descendants of Dutch settlers)
Lasted 1899 to 1902
11. Be able to explain the Ottoman empires decline, what led to it?
The spread of Nationalism weakened the empire and led to intolerance.
Sultans rejected reform and tried to rebuild their past power
12. What were some of the things that Britain started to ban or change in India?
Worked to end forms of indentured servitude
tried to improve the position of women
Banned Sati (practice of women throwing themselves on their husbands funeral pyre)
13. Who are sepoys?
Indian soldiers, fighting for the British
14. Be able to explain some of the reasons that the sepoy rebellion started.
Refused to use the weapons (ammo cartridges were being greased with pig fat)
Were upset about having to travel overseas
Widows were being allowed to remarry
All of these things were against their religion/customs
15. What would India have been like under Britiah rule/control?
There would have been a British viceroy (British at the top)
It would have been an Unequal partnership
16. What was the goal of the Indian National Congress?
Wanted educated Indians to help rule the country
Looked forward to eventual to self-rule
17. Be able to tell the differencs between trade surplus and trade deficit.
Trade surplus--exporting more than your importing
Trade deficit--buying(importing) more than your selling(exporting)
18. Be able to explain the Opium War.
British and Chinese
It was a drug war (over opium) Britain was trading the Drug with China.
The government outlawed it due to people becoming addicted to it and spending a lot of money on it.
Britain won due to superior weapons
19. What was the unequal treaty?
the Treaty of Nanjing--forced China to give up rights
20. What made these treaties unequal? ( who benefitted more, what were these benefits)
Britain benefited more
They received an indemnity--or payment for losses in war
They also gained new territories--island of Hong Kong
New trade rights with China
21. What was the goal of the Taiping Rebellion?
Peasant uprising that wanted to topple the Qing dynasty
22. What was the goal of the Boxer uprising, what happened?
Goal was to drive out foreigners
Rebellion was crushed by a multinational force
23. Who was Matthew Perry?
Commodore of a fleet of American ships
Sailed into Tokyo Bay and negotiated the Treaty of Kanagawa
24. What was the Meiji Restoration?
Period where reforms were being made to make Japan more like the western nations
25. Which European powers had control of the following countries: Burma, Philippines, and Cambodia
26. Which Southeast Asian country was able to stay free during this time period?
Siam--present day Thailand
27. What country did Britain turn into a penal colony?
28. Who was Benito Juarez? What was he known for?
He was of Zapotec Indian heritage (Became the President of Mexico)
He is known for the period of La Reforma
Reforms he made include...taking away the special rights of the church, he helped to unite Mexico
29. Which Latin American countries started to develop oil industries?
Mexico and Venezuela
30. What lands did the United States gain as a result of the Mexican American war?
All or part of the following states
31. What lands did the United States gain as a result of the Spanish American war?
32. What was the benefit of buliding of the Panama Canal?
US wanted it for ease of protecting their borders
Led to shorter shipping times
reduced the cost of trade
33. What did the Constitutional Act of 1791 do?
Upper Canada (now Ontario)
Lower Canada (now Quebec)
34. Who called for Canadian expansion and what was built to help it along?
built a transcontinental railroad (Canadian Pacific Railway)
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Topic 21: The World Today Terms
World War 1 Notes
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 12 The New Imperialism
pabustan topic 9.1,2,4,5
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
World History--Semester 1 Final
World History: Topic 6 Test