5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Innate Immunity
- Components of C1 and their function are
- Components of C5 convertase
- Neutralization by Ig's
- a involves the Ig binding tightly to the pathogen to prevent interaction with it receptor on humans. The Ig's crosslink pathogens. The neutralized pathogen once bound is phagocytosed.
- b Interleukin 2 is a cytokine that is produced by activated t cells it is essential for the proliferation of activated t cells and the development of an adaptive immune response
- c Classical - C5 combines with C2a, C3b and C4b complex then activated (splits) into C5a and C5b
Alternative - binds with the Bb and 2 C3b complex then is activated into C5a and C5b
- d Second line of defence non-adaptive/non-specific immunity. Involve the non-specific destruction of pathogens via macrophages, neutrophils, NK cells and circulating proteins of complement and acute phase proteins.
- e A complement of proteins C1q, C1s and C1r. C1r and s are serine proteases. C1s can cleave the next proteins in the complement cascade C2 and C4.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Found in the cytosol used to degrade cytosolic proteins. LMP gene encodes them is found in the MHC2 coding region. Two types, Proteasome 26s and 20s. They Contain a19s cap that prevents the entry of non-tagged proteins. Both 20s or 26s proteasomes can operate independently of the 19s cap
- Lymphocyte Function Associated Antigen-1. An integrin expressed by all t-cells it is important for to allow for binding to cell adhesion molecules expresses on extracellular matrix.
- Antigens that cause hypersensitive or allergic reactions, usually involving IgE antibody responses
- Immature CD3,4,8 double positive thymocytes, Cortical epithelial cells, Negative selection for self reactive cells are eliminated.
- Are co-stimulatory molecules induced by the breakdown of bacteria by macrophages or other APC's. Are expressed on APC's surface it interacts with the CD28 receptor on t-cells for t cell recognition
5 True/False questions
Memory cells → General term for Lymphocytes that are responsible for immunological memory.
Li chain → Light chain the smaller of the two types of polypeptide chains that make up Ig. Molecule one constant region and one variable region.
CD4 → 4 domain co-receptor expressed on the cytokine secreting TH1 cells, contains the binding site for MHC2 on activated antigen presenting B-cells and macrophages.
CDR → Complementary Determining Region. 3 types CDR1,2,3. Also known as Hypervariable, loops form the antigen binding site on Ig.
Mast cell → Are specialized to transport microorganisms to gut associated lymphoid tissue. They take up by phagocytosis and endocytosis. Also known as Peyer's patch.