American History Chapter 26
Terms in this set (33)
1. This was established June 26, 1945 as a peace keeping organization?
2. Why did the Soviets believe they were entitled to control of Eastern Europe?
Destruction from WWII
3. A period of feelings of hostility between the U.S. and the USSR?
4. U.S. policy to give economic and military aid to free nations threatened by internal or external forces.
5. This gave U.S. economic aid to European nations to rebuild after WWII?
6. To break the Soviet blockade of West Berlin the U.S. and British began the use of this?
7. A military alliance between 10 European nations, the U.S. and Canada?
8. He was the leader of the Nationalist in China that received support from the U.S.?
9. He was the leader of the Communist movement in China?
10. Name given to the Communist government in China?
People's Republic of China
11. At what boundary was Korea divided at the end of WWII?
12. Which side did the UN support in the Korean Conflict?
13. He was the leader of the UN forces in Korea?
General Douglas MacArthur
14. The UN forces pushed the N. Koreans to this location near the Chinese boarder?
15. What did MacArthur want to use against the Chinese?
16. He was elected U.S. President in 1952?
17. This was setup to review the loyalty of government employees?
Loyalty Review Board
18. This group was sent to prison for refusing to testify to the House Un-American Activities Committee?
19. Law that made it unlawful to plan any action that might lead to the establishment of a totalitarian government in the U.S.?
McCarran Internal Security Act
20. Couple that was put to death for selling government information to the Soviet Union?
21. He was the leading anti-communist activist in Congress during the 1950's?
22. Term used to describe unfair tactics of accusing people of disloyalty without real evidence?
23. This invention made the Cold War more dangerous?
24. The U.S. policy of using all resource to prevent the spread of Communism?
25. This organization used spies and covert operations to gather information on foreign nations?
26. Name two countries the CIA successfully helped to overthrow governments during the early 1950's.
Iran and Guatemala
27. Military alliance between the Soviet Union and 7 Eastern European nations?
28. This stated the U.S. would defend the Middle East against any Communist attacks?
29. He led an uprising against the Soviets in Hungary in the spring of 1956?
30. He became the leader of the Soviet Union after the death of Stalin?
31. This was the 1st artificial satellite placed in orbit around the Earth?
32. The U.S. used these to fly spying missions over the Soviet Union?
33. U.S. pilot that was shot down on a spying mission over the Soviet Union?