Create an account
Tightly packed cells
- form protective barriers and linings
-cover body and organ surgaces, line body and lumens
-Always has an apical(open) surface
Underlying tissues that connects to nourishment supply
- only in ET, thinnest layer
-Mitotic cells found at basement membrane level
-Areas where wounds or losses can be closed/replaced quickly
Classification of E.T.
- # of layers of cells
- Simple(one), Stratified (multi), Pseudo (fake layers)
Classification of E.T. cont
-Shapes of cells
- Squamous (thin, flat with a central nucleus)
- Cuboidal ( cube-shaped with a central nucleus)
- Columnar (shoe boxed shaped, nucleus near basement membrane)
Simple Squamous ET
-single layer of flat cells tightly packed together
-founds in regions of diffision or filtration
- lungs(alveoli), blood vessels(capillary walls)
Stratified Squamous ET
- many layers of columnar or cuboidal at one end of tissue
- thinner and flatter as pushed to free surface of membrane
- found in areas of abrasion or friction
- skin stratified cells become keratinized
- linings of mouth and oral cavity
- Several layers of cells that change shape
- Lining of bladder
- allows for expansion
Simple Cuboidal ET
- single layer of cubed shaped cells
-found in secreting glands - kidney tubules, ducts, outer ovary linings
Simple Columnar ET
- single layer of shoe boxed shaped cells
- nuclei at all the same level close to basement membrane
- found in areas of secretion and absorption
- microvilli and goblet cells present
Pseudo- Stratified Columnar ET
- nuclei all over, looks like several layers
- often has cilia
- found in some glands, ducts, trachea, male urethra
-line body cavities that dont open to outside, covers organs
- thin layer of simple squamous c thin layer of CT
- secrete watery fluid - lubricates membrane surface
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together