Define skin and its function
Weighs more than 20 pounds
Covers 16% of the body
- regulate temperature
- house nerve receptors
- secrete fluids
Name the layers of the epidermis layer
What is the dermis composed of?
Middle layer of skin
- connective tissue containing nerves and nerve endings
- blood vessels
- sebaceous and sweat glands
- hair follicles
- lymph vessels
Further divided into two layers:
- papillary layer
- reticular layer
What is the composition of the subcutaneous or hypodermis?
Composed of subcutaneous tissue
Tissue helps support, nourish, insulate, and cushion the skin
Describe the nail characteristics and name the nail proteins
-flat platesnof keratin.
- called nail body
- cover ends of tissue by nail bed
- connected to fingers and toes.
- grow longer from the roots
- covered and protected by cuticle
- free edge is exposed edge
- light colored half-moon area at the base is the lunula
Name the hair parts and name the proteins that the hair fibersnare composed of
- hair follicles.
- hair root
- hair shaft.
- fibers composed of the protein keratin
- hair formation like
- melanin gives hair its color
- sebaceous glands
Where are the sensory receptors and what do they detect?
Located in the dermis
They detect pressue, traction, heat, cold, and pain
Define melanocytes. What do they produce?
Melanocytes are cells that produce melanin for pigmentation.