The liver functions in metabolic activities, storage of nutrients, filtration of blood, and chemical digestion.
Divided into left and right lobes, which consist of lobules containing hepatic cells radiating from a central vein
Functions of the liver:
1. Main role in digestion: Production of bile help in the digestion of lipids
2. Metabolic activities: Synthesis, breakdown, or conversion of carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins AND Detoxification (eg. ammonia urea)
3. Stores: Glycogen, vitamins A, D, B12, iron, and copper
4. Filters the blood, removing damaged RBCs, foreign substances, toxins
5. Secretes bile for digestion