Avery, MacLeod, & McCarty repeating Griffith's experiment 1944
1. attempted to determine what in the S strain was changing the R strain to be pathogenic
2. broke the S strain bacteria into component parts (nucleic acid, protein, carbohydrate, lipid)
3. Ejected each component mixed w/ live R strain into mouse (nucleic acid caused to mouse to die only)
4. Further substantiated their conclusions by treating nucleic acid with DNA, mixing with live R strain: lived
5. First experiment to assert that DNA carried the genetic info.