VCR 9-12 Vocabulary
Terms in this set (60)
1) Shining; luminous.
2) Permitting light to pass through; translucent.
1) Clearly expressed; easy to understand.
2) Logical; rational; sane.
1) To make clear or plain; to clarify.
1) Very clear, thus allowing a maximum of light to pass through; transparent; translucent.
2) Very clear in meaning or style.
1) An object, such as the sun or moon, that gives light.
2) A person who is outstanding in a particular field.
1) Light emitted by means other than burning, such as chemical or biochemical action or radiation.
1) To assemble people, especially troops, for a specific purpose.
2) To gather; to summon (often used with "up").
---> used in random phrases (ex. to pass ________)
1) To speak in protest or disapproval (often used with "with" or "against").
1) Extreme offense; resentment (usually with "take").
1) To give a sketchy outline.
2) To foreshadow indistinctly.
1) To speak derogatively of someone's character or reputation; to defame; to disparage.
1) The art of predicting events by allegedly communicating with the dead.
2) Black magic; witchcraft; sorcery.
1) A cover for a coffin or tomb.
2) A coffin, especially one with a body in it.
3) Anything that covers, darkens, obscures, or makes gloomy.
1) To become dull, tiresome, or lifeless.
1) To make a situation, especially an offense, seem less serious; to make excuses for something or someone.
2) To make less severe; to alleviate.
1) Deficient in color; having an abnormally pale complexion.
2) Lacking color, vitality, or interest; dull.
1) A prophetic disclosure or revelation, especially concerning a universal cataclysm.
2) Any widespread destruction.
3) (capitalized) The last book of the Bible, also known as Revelation, which contains prophesies about the ultimate destruction of the world.
1) False; counterfeit; doubtful, especially in authorship or authenticity.
(capitalized versions of this word refer to parts of the Bible which are in dispute)
1) a stroke; a sudden loss of muscular control, sensation, or consciousness usually resulting from rupture or blockage of a blood vessel (often used hyperbolically to describe a state of extreme rage that produces exaggerated responses).
1) A person who forsakes his or her own principles, religion, or allegiances.
1) To punish; to criticize severely; to chastise.
1) To seek to improve through punishment; to discipline.
1) Something that blocks; an obstruction.
1) Someone who lives alone and avoids company; a hermit.
1) A keyboard instrument, like a piano or harpsichord, with strings.
1) A private, exclusive, or secret meeting.
1) A country entirely or mostly enclosed within the territory of another country.
2) A district or group isolated or enclosed within a larger one.
1) A crown or headband worn as a sign of authority.
1) An abusive criticism or attack.
1) Pertaining to a diameter.
2) Exactly or completely opposite.
1) Any group migration or flight from a country.
2) (capitalized) The dispersion of the Jews from their homeland in the Middle East.
1) A beating or pounding, especially an unlawful beating, as in assault and ________.
2) Guns or heavy artillery.
3) A group of similar things used together.
1) A defense wall with alternating high and low sections (often used in plural form).
1) To reduce in quantity or intensity; to subside; to diminish.
1) Warlike; eager to fight.
1) A country or persons engaged in warfare or hostile action.
2) Behaving in a hostile or aggressive manner; engaged in combat.
1) To intimidate; to discourage or dishearten.
1) A person's strong point; the thing in which a person excels.
1) In music, loudly; forcefully.
1) Courage in enduring pain or trouble.
1) Unrestricted power to act at one's discretion; unconditional permission or authority.
1) An organization of firms in the same industry for the purpose of regulating production, pricing, and marketing of goods and decreasing competition by members.
2) A coalition of political or special-interest groups to achieve a common cause; a bloc.
1) A maker of maps or charts.
1) A fist-fighter, especially a professional boxer.
1) Quarrelsome; eager for a fight.
1) To oppose or attack as false; to seek to discredit.
1) A rhythmic flow of sound, as in poetry or oratory, or of movement, as in marching or dancing.
1) The use of moral principles to reason out what is right or wrong in everyday situations (usually associated with a morality that emphasizes adherence to established laws).
2) Subtle but misleading or false application of reasoning; a quibbling or evasive way of making difficult decisions.
1) Declining or decaying (applied to a condition, things, or people).
1) A person who is decaying mentally or morally.
2) (usually capitalized) A member of a group of nineteenth-century French and English artists who were inspired by artificial and morbid things.
1) (capitalized) The parts of the world that lie west of Asia, especially the countries of Europe and the western hemisphere.
1) A relapse into a former habit, especially criminal or antisocial behavior.
1) To yield or surrender rights or possessions, usually officially.
1) To consent; to agree (used with "to").
2) To take office; to become ruler (used with "to").
1) The act of granting or yielding.
2) Permission by authority for special use, especially the privilege of setting up a business in a certain place, or the place itself.
1) To act on another's behalf.
2) To mediate in a dispute; to seek to reconcile differences.
1) Preying on other animals.
2) Plundering; exploiting or victimizing others.
1) Destruction; plunder.
1) Precise; scrupulous; attentive to details, especially of etiquette.
1) Having a strong, biting taste or smell.
1) Uneasiness caused by guilt; remorse; scruples.
1) To omit; to delete; to obliterate.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Test Preparation TOEIC, SAT, TOEFL
Vocabulary Cumulative 1 Definitions
Vocabulary Lessons 11 and 12 with no roots
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
il giorno quarto
il giorno terzo
il giorno secondo (without numbers)
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
VCR BOOK E lessons 13-16