Name two important reasons for studying law and ethics
1. To function at the highest professional level
2. To avoid litigation as a medical professional
List 3 areas where health care practioners can gain insight through studying law and ethics
1. The rights and responsibilities and concerns of health care consumers.
2. The legal and ethical issues facing society, patients, health care
3. the impact of rising costs on the laws and ethics of health care delivery.
Define SUMMARY JUDGMENT
that, contrary to motion to dismiss b/c of no liability, the issue shows there's a liable party
Is not a law, but a standard of behavior developed a result of one's concept of wrong or right.
How are violations etiquette handled?
The employee could possibly gain verbal warning, written up and stored in their file; or demoted or fired.
What is the purpose of a professional code of ethics?
To govern behavior of members and increase the level of competence and standards with in a specified group.
Name five bioethical issues of concern in today's society
1. Possession of ones own cells once they have been medically altered.
2. Frozen embryo possession after a divorce.
3. What determines priority for transplant
4. Ethics regarding fetal tissue research.
5. Animals being used in research.
Decisions mad by judges in the various courts and used as a guide for future decisions are called?
Written codes of ethics for health care practitioners:
Evolved primarily to serve as moral guidelines for those who provided care to the sick
This ethics code superseded earlier codes to become the definite guide for physician's professional conduct:
Percival's Medical Ethics
Violation of a professional organizations formalized code of ethics:
Can lead to expulsion from the organization
Sellers and manufacturers can be held legally responsible for defective medical devices and products through charges of:
Misrepresentation of the product through untrue statements made by the manufacturer of the seller.