Create an account
mimetic or copying movments
kinesthetic or awareness of movement or position (seeing and feeling what the words look like at the same time)
student speaks simultaneously with clinician
focus on lip and tongue movements
• Rapid syllable drill
• Homophenous words
• Visible characteristics determine categorization of speech sounds
• Use simple sentences to derive meaning
• Focus on group
• Analytic approach
• Synthetic training approach (Opposite to MULLER)
• Contex identifies homophenous words
• No syllable drill used
• No voice used
• Focus on whole speech movements
• Eclectic training approach
o Analytic approach w/ syllable drill
o Synthetic approach similar to Nitchie
• Materials used with preschool and school-age kiddos
• Syllable drill
• Mimetic or copying movements
• Kinesthetic or awareness of movement or position (seeing and feeling what words look like at the same time)
• Student speaks simultaneously with clinician
• Focus on lip and tongue movements
CURRENT TRAINING APPROACHES
Focus on sound identification
Focus on recognizing gist of sentence
Presentation of both auditory and visual signals
Kinesthetic and visual awareness (mirror and video) are often included for production practice.
Analytic Vowel Speechreading Training Objectives
Discriminate between letters i, u, and a
Different mouth positions
Discriminate in two to four set choice
Discriminate in six set choice with other vowels
Identify words in open set format
Analytic Consonant Speechreading Training Objectives
Discriminate consonants that differ in place, but share manner or voicing
b/c Manner and voicing cues auditorily salient
Voicing is something you can't see
Manner is more auditory salient i.e. think about a stop its more a burst.
Place is more visual.
analytic consonant speechreading objectives
1. Consonants dif. in place but share manner
2. Consonants diff in place but share voicing
3. Increase closed set to 4 set choices
4. Consonants sharing place and manner or voicing
5. Identify words in open set format
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together