Create an account
- Pupilary constriction/decrease intraoptic pressure
- Bronchoconstriction and increase secretions
- Decrease heart rate (neg chronotropic effects)
- Think "WET" - increased salivation, voiding, sweat
- Sweat: "think vasovagal reaction"
- Increases GI tract secretions and increases peristalsis
In motor nerves and skeletal muscles of parasympahetic nervous system - causes muscles contraction
Protoytpe: neostigmine (Prostigmine)
- Some meds in this category mimic action of acetylcholine
- Some meds in this category inhibit acetylcholine destruction
(i.e. anticholinesterase: destroys cholinesterase (whose job it is to destroy acetylcholine in muscle junction) so allows more acetylcholine to get to muscles
- Bladder/GI tract atony (release bladder/sphincer)
- Dx and Tx of myestenia gravis
- Antidote (to paralysis drug given during surgery)
-Urinary or GI tract obstruction
- Peptic ulcer
Cholinergic: adverse reactions
Common: increase salivation, increase sweating (diaphoresis), abd cramping, N+V, diarrhea
Serious: bradychardia, hypotension, can be so severe -> leads to shock
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together