Create an account
Do students have right to distribute materials?
Yes, if reasonable time, place, and manner
should be in student handbook
cannot be school sponsored, students can initiate prayer before school, teachers can attend but cannot lead
Allowed school groups
if allow the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) then have to allow other groups (ie a student Nazi group)
can require that all groups have a faculty sponsor
What does the principal/designee need to conduct a search?
individualized reasonable suspicion of contraband/stolen property
What types of searches can a school do?
strip search (legal but not advisable)
light pat down (same gender)
take jacket, shoes, socks off
go through backpack, purse
1 - tell student what did wrong
2 - give student a chance to tell their side
3 - if disagree, give a summary of evidence (no names)
4 - Good faith to contact parent by phone
5 - send notice in writing within 24 hours
denial of right to go to school for rest of semester to the rest of the year and all of the next year
1 - principal/designee create a packet based on school board policy for expelable offenses
2 - forward to district
3 - district reviews
4 - parent sent letter explaining their rights
5 - impartial hearing (administrative hearing)
race, creed, color, gender, religion
must have a compelling reason to treat differently (ie, need a female PE coach to cover locker rooms)
job description for every position with essential qualifications
must make reasonable accommodations
- must show educational records to parents
- cannot show records to anyone not authorized
- allowed to distribute student directory information (per school board policy)
- required to give directory information of juniors and seniors to armed forces
Just Cause for dismissal
- gross insubordination
- misconduct in office
- neglect of duty
- conviction of crime involving moral turpitude
Alternative teacher certification
- have a bachelor degree in subject area teaching
- go through process established by district OR through a college
- can ask questions directly related to the job
- can ask if can do the job with reasonable accommodations
- cannot ask what a reasonable accommodation is
Personnel files are open to the public, what can't the public see?
anything derogatory that the employee has not been given 10 day notice
covered by IDEA
provides Free and Appropriate Public Education in the Least Restrictive Environment
- 2.0 GPA
- home school
- private school student can participate in home school team
- charter school student can participate if charter school doesn't have their own team
- no older than 19 years and 9 months
- can opt out of some requilations
- must take FCAT
- charter is with the local school district
- teachers must be certified in what they teach
- admin doesn't need certification
How many sq. feet required for students?
remember the bigger/older the student the less space they need
Missing Children Statue
- schools notified by law enforcement of a missing child
- must flag file
- if get a request for file, must notify law enforcement
- Work Visa (starts with T, E, or H)
- Green Card/Permanent Resident Card
- Executive or Special Knowledge Visa (starts with L)
- International organization (ie consolet) (starts with G)
School Advisory Counsel
- required under sunshine laws
- consists of teachers, students, parents, support staff
- each group selects their own members
- more than half have to be non-employees
- employee that is also a parent cannot act as a parent on the SAC
- may not discuss anything that may come before the board unless in public (open meeting)
- meetings must be advertized and accessible
- no one has the right to speak at meetings
- must vote in public
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together