Create an account
62) The Ohio State studies indicated that leaders who were high in initiating structure received ________.
B) the lowest employee ratings
63) According to the University of Michigan studies, leaders who were ________ were associated with higher group productivity and higher job satisfaction.
66) Which description best characterizes a 9,1 leadership style on the managerial grid?
B) task management
67) Which quadrant of the managerial grid generally identifies the most successful leaders?
D) top right
68) The key to the Fiedler contingency model of leadership is to match ________.
D) leadership style and situation
69) What does Fiedler's least-preferred coworker questionnaire measure?
B) leadership style of respondents who took the test
73) Your boss has total control over hiring, firing, and promotions in your department. He has ________.
B) high position power
74) Jobs in a firm are quite informal. Workers are versatile and switch tasks and responsibilities depending on the situation. In Fiedler's model, this firm would be said to have ________.
D) low task structure
75) Fiedler concluded that task-oriented leaders performed best when the situation was ________.
C) either highly favorable or highly unfavorable
76) Fiedler concluded that relationship-oriented leaders performed best when the situation was ________.
D) moderately favorable or moderately unfavorable
77) A major criticism of Fiedler's work stated that it failed to recognize that effective leaders ________.
B) can change leadership styles
78) In the situational leadership theory (SLT), readiness is defined as ________ to perform a task.
C) both the ability and willingness
79) ________ is defined in situational leadership theory (SLT) as a high task, low relationship leadership role.
89) Results from the leader-participation model conclude that it is more important to talk about autocratic and participative ________.
A) situations than leaders
90) The most important conclusion from the leader-participation model is that ________.
B) a leader must change his or her leadership style depending on the situation
91) The path-goal theory sees the job of an effective leader as ________.
B) clearing the path between followers and their goals
92) A(n) ________ leader in path-goal theory gives specific guidance in performing tasks.
95) A(n) ________ leader in path-goal theory often makes decisions collectively with followers.
96) Path-goal theory assumes that environmental factors such as ________ can change a leadership situation.
D) work group structure of followers
100) A participative leadership style works well with subordinates who ________.
D) have an internal locus of control
101) Leaders who are looking for exceptionally high performance from subordinates might try this approach
C) achievement oriented
102) A leader should avoid a directive leadership style when ________.
A) tasks are highly structured
106) Which of the following is an accurate statement about transformational leaders?
C) Their organizations are highly productive.
110) "Trained" charismatic leaders had workers who were ________ those who had been led by non-charismatic leaders.
B) more productive than
111) Visionary leadership differs from charismatic leadership because of its focus on ________.
D) a positive image of the future
113) If a visionary-leader CEO switched from one company to another, you would expect ________ to follow her to the new company.
D) some employees and managers
114) Team leadership and traditional leadership in hierarchical organizations are thought to be ________.
B) very different
115) Consultant estimates state that ________ team leaders.
C) 85 percent of managers are not natural
116) A difficult skill for a team leader to learn is knowing when to ________ the team.
C) intervene with
119) When a design team is having problems getting its new simulation software to work correctly, the team leader takes on this role.
120) When a team is considering joining forces with another team in the organization, the team leader takes on this role.
121) When two members of a team are having a personal conflict, the team leader takes on this role.
A) conflict manager
122) The key difference between team leadership and traditional leadership is that in teams ________ decisions.
A) employees are empowered to make
125) A unique problem that virtual leaders face is being understood without a ________ form of communication.
129) Most leadership theories were developed in the United States, causing them to stress ________.
B) rationality over spirituality
130) All of the following appear to be universal elements of transformational leadership EXCEPT ________.
132) Which of the following is NOT a key component of emotional intelligence (EI)?
C) active imagination
134) Evidence indicates that in leadership style, males and females ________.
A) are more alike than different
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together