Create an account
1. Many colleges use students' S.A.T. scores to determine who they will accept into their programs. Which goal of psychological science are they utilizing? A. describe B. explain C. predict D. control
2. Behavior is ________ while mental processes are ________. A. private; personal B. personal; observable C. personal; private D. observable; private
D. observable; private
According to the discipline of psychology, which of the following is NOT a behavior? A. smiling at a newborn baby B. watching a flock of geese fly overhead C. sleeping through a lecture D. being overweight
D. being overweight
According to the discipline of psychology, which of the following is NOT a behavior? A. asking for help on a test B. helping a stranger in need C. having nervous thoughts before a job interview D. blushing when complimented
C. having nervous thoughts before a job interview
5. According to the discipline of psychology, which of the following is a mental process? A. swimming B. feeling proud C. crying D. reading out loud
B. feeling proud
6. According to the discipline of psychology, which of the following is NOT a mental process?
A. feeling angry about your psychology instructor's grading policy B. writing down the answer to a long division problem C. wanting to kiss the person sitting next to you D. deciding to ask your boss for a raise
B. writing down the answer to a long division problem
Psychologists rely on ________ which is the process of thinking reflectively and actively, and evaluating evidence. A. metacognition B. comprehension C. critical thinking D. selective wisdom
C. critical thinking
8. Who is demonstrating psychological skepticism? A. Martina asks the pharmacist to repeat the instructions for taking her medication. B. Doug tells the sales clerk he can get the shirt cheaper at another store. C. Lindsey is wondering if you can really improve your memory over night by taking a pill. D. Alex bought the newest exercise ball to help him lose weight in just five days.
C. Lindsey is wondering if you can really improve your memory over night by taking a pill
9. Who is most responsible for the rather narrow view of psychology held by the majority of the population? A. Skinner B. Freud C. Watson D. Maslow
The positive psychology movement focuses on A. therapy rather than research. B. research on topics such as happiness and optimism. C. research involving kindness to animals. D. intuition and places less value on science
B. research on topics such as happiness and optimism
Which of the following is a topic that would be exB. Freudplored by researchers who believe in positive psychology? A. hope B. depression C. retribution D. envy
12. The origins of psychology as a science began in the discipline of A. philosophy. B. physics. C. chemistry. D. biology.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together