Scheduled maintenance: Thursday, December 8 from 5PM to 6PM PST
Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (68)
Name five factors that influence design.
Social Issues, Function, Economics, Technology, Available Materials
Does the concept of beauty vary from culture to culture? Give an example.
a. Yes it does. Once culture may prefer women who stretch their necks.
Does light affect our perception?
look more joyful.
a. Yes it does. A brighter room might make something
Is art theory static or dynamic?
What does art express?
a. Art expresses emotion. And represents the society that created it.
Who wrote the Divine Comedy?
Who wrote the Decameron?
a. Giovanni Bocaccio
Name the writers and their work which influenced the development of the arts in the Proto Renaissance period.
a. Dante-The Divine Comedy
b. Bocaccio-The Decameron
c. Petrarch-Il Canzoniere
Name two techniques of painting used by the Proto-Renaissance artists.
b. Tempera Panel
Know the characteristics of the Proto-Renaissance artists.
c. Facial Expressions d. Use of Landscape e. Hierarchy
Know the characteristics of Byzantine art. a. Hierarchy
b. Flat Figures
c. Frontally posed figures
d. Serious Expressions
e. Large Staring Eyes
Who did the frescoes at the Scrovegni Chapel?
a. Giotto di Bondone
8. Does Giotto create the illusion of depth in his paintings?
a. Yes he does.
9. Is the subject matter of the frescoes of Giotto in the Scoregni Chapel narrative or contextual?
10. What is the difference between The Madonna Enthroned by Giotto and the Madonna Enthroned by Cimabue in regards to depth?
a. Giottos has more depth. It dosent seem like the figures are on top of one antoher.
11. Are facial expression and movement characteristics of the Byzantine or the Proto- Renaissance period?
12. Who painted the Maesta?
13. Does the Maesta consist of two panels or more?
a. More panels
14. Who designed the cathedral in Florence?
15. Who designed the Bell Tower (Campanile) of the cathedral of Florence?
16. Would you descrive the frescoes of the Scrovegni Chapel as narrative or
17. What was the purpose of the Good Government by Lorenzetti? (pg 8 and choose best words)
a. To Document
1. Where did the Renaissance begin?
2. What does the word Renaissance mean?
3. Know the characteristics of Renaissance architecture, painting and sculpture.
a. Symmetry, Classical Orders, Round Arches,
4. Name two reasons why the Renaissance began in Italy.
a. Existence of classical architecture and the Fall of Constantinople
5. Who designed the Paradise Doors of the baptistery of Florence?
a. Lorenzo Ghiberti
6. Name the building which inspired the design of the dome of the cathedral of Florence.
a. Pantheon in Rome
7. Who was the architect of the dome of the cathedral of Florence?
8. Who was the architect of the dome of Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome?
9. Who was the architect of the Villa Rotonda?
10. Who wrote the four books of architecture?
11. Name three ideas concerning Palladio's design.
a. Entrance to a house should be elaborate b. Living room should face north
c. Library of a house should face east
What does the term Palladianism mean?
a. Style of architecture that derives from Palladio
13. Who designed the New Sacristy inside the Saint Lorenzo church
14. Who painted the ceiling of the Sistine chapel?
15. Who designed the Villa Barbaro?
16. Is symmetry prominent in the work of Palladio?
a. Yes it is.
17. Name a building in the United States that has been inspired by the Villa Rotonda.
a. Monticello House
18. Did Michaelangelo create one Pieta in his lifetime?
a. He created many Pietas.
19. What does the term "pieta" mean?
a. The Virgin mary mourning the dead bidy of her son Jesus
20. Do Renaissance painters use calm balance compositions?
21. The term aerial perspective refers to...
a. The graying of colors as the recede into the distance.
22. What does the term chiaroscuro mean?
a. A technique to create the illusion of 3-d depth.
23. Who painted The Trinity in the church of Santa Maria Novella?
24. Who painted the Tribute Money in the Brancacci Chapel?
How would you describe the lines used by the Botticelli?
a. Precise and delicate
26. Who was Venus and with whom does she correspond to in Greek Mythology?
a. The Roman counterpart of the Greek goddess Aphrodite who rules over love and beauty.
27. Which of the following words would you choose to describe the composition of
the Last Supper by Tintretto: horizontal, vertical, diagonal?
28. Who wrote the Live of the Artists?
29. Who made the famous drawing of the Vitruvian man?
a. Da Vinci
30. What does the therm "sfumato" mean and who is the famous Italian artist known for its use?
a. A smokey haze achieved by covering a painting with a thin tinted varnish.
b. Da Vinci
31. True or False: Triangular compositions were typical of the High Renaissance?
32. True or False: Mona Lisa and The Virgin and Child with St. Anne are good
examples of triangular (pyramid) compositions?
33. Who sculpted the Cantoria?
a. Lucia Della Robbia
34. What sculptural technique did Michelangelo use to create David?
a. Subtractive method
35. Name the Italian Renaissance artist who made the first Renaissance male nude.
36. Who designed the entrance Piazza colonnades to Saint Peter's Cathedral?
37. Who painted the School of Athens and where it is located?
b. Vatican City
38. Name the two Greek philosophers depicted in the center of the School of Athens?
a. Plato and Aristotle
39. The term Annunciation refers to what?
a. The announcement that Virgin Mary will become the mother of Jesus
40. Do the Mannerist painters follow the rules of classical design?
a. No they oppose it.
41. Which country's royal court did Sofonisba belong to?
42. Who painted The Chess Game?
Ambiguous perspective, elongated and exaggerated bodies in complex twisted
positions are characteristics of which movement?
44. Know fresco and tempera panel technique.
a. Fresco is when the artist applies plaster to the wall and paints in it while it
b. Panel Technique are multiple paintings on wood joined toghether.
45. Giambologna's Rape of the Sabine Women and Cellini's Perseus with the Head of Medusa are both displayed outside in what famous Florence landmark?
a. Loggia dei Lanzi
46. How would you describe the political message of Cellini's Perseus with the Head
a. It is a warning for those who oppose Florence.
Students also viewed
PLOT words 2022
AP Art History - Identification Pieces:…
Setting Vocabulary 4CP 2022
Sets found in the same folder
Art 101: Northern Renaissance 15th Century
Art History: 19th Century Architecture
Art History: Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood
US History to 1876
Other sets by this creator
Dahl's seven points
Poli Sci Finals
Poli sci test 2
Why do you think Hawthorne does not disclose the reason Parson Hooper begins wearing the veil?
find two ads for a particular type of product, and compare their use of persuasive techniques.
Place a check in the blank next to each sentence that contains a noun clause. _____ The trophy goes to whoever crosses the finish line first.
Reword the following sentences to correct any unclear pronoun references. The British girls and the Indian girls eat sandwiches for lunch, but they do not like them.
Recommended textbook solutions
John Lund, Paul S. Vickery, P. Scott Corbett, Todd Pfannestiel, Volker Janssen
The Language of Composition: Reading, Writing, Rhetoric
Lawrence Scanlon, Renee H. Shea, Robin Dissin Aufses
America's History for the AP Course
Eric Hinderaker, James A. Henretta, Rebecca Edwards, Robert O. Self
Ways of the World: A Global History
Robert W. Strayer
Other Quizlet sets
Exam 3 Earth Science
Chapter 10 Medical Terminology