- butt—rear area of the stock that the shooter mounts against the shoulder for firing; normally covered
with a metal or plastic butt plate or a recoil pad
- comb—stock's top edge where the shooter's cheek rests
- grip—"small of the stock," just behind the receiver; the shooter uses the grip and his or her shooting
hand for control when firing or carrying it
- heel—top corner of the butt
- recoil pad—a butt plate, usually rubber, that reduces the effect of the shotgun's recoil or "kick"
- toe—the bottom part of the butt