Create an account
the movements of the atmosphere are sufficient to keep large quantity of solid and liquid particles suspended within it
- collectively these tiny solid & liquid articles are called aerosols
equinoxes occur midway between the solstices
- September 22 or 23 is the date of the autumnal equinox
total energy that radiates from the sun, they are only part of a large array of energy called electromagnetic radiation
element(of weather and climate)
1) air temperature
3) type and amount of cloudiness
4) type and amount of precipitation
5) air pressure
6) speed and direction of wind
environmental lapse rate
the temperature decrease in the troposphere is called the environmental lapse rate
inclination of the axis
earth's axis is not perpendicular
- instead it's tilted
-if it weren't tilted there would be no season changes
temperatures again decrease with height until, at the mesopause , more than 50 miles above the surface the temperature reaches -90 Celsius
important component of the atmosphere
- crucial to people on earth
- absorbs harmful (UV) rays from the sun
is the process whereby light bounces back from an object at the same angle at which it encounters a surface with the same intensity
- beyond the tropopause
- the temp remains constant to height of 12 miles , and begins to gradually increase until the statopause
is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the individual atoms or molecules in a substance
- the fourth layer extends outward from the mesopause and as no well defined upper limit
- a layer that contains only a tiny fraction of the atmosphere's mass
tropic of Capricorn
the suns vertical rays strike 23 1/2 south latitude
- this parall is known as the tropic of Capricorn
the bottom layer in which we live, where temperatures decrease with an increase in altitude
- is constantly changing, sometimes from hour to hour and at times from day to day
- it is a term that refers to the state of the atmosphere at a given time and place
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together