Various combinations of orpine, eryngo, ground ivy, great lettuce, hemlock, opium poppy, mandrake, hops, and valerian were used by the Physicians of Myddfai before surgery. (Often mixed with wine.)
• Opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) contains psychoactive, painkilling alkaloids morphine and codeine.
• Deliriant plants (and fungi) were often associated with battle, the gods, and magic.
There was a yearly harvest festival, devoted to Min, god of fertility
Six part ceremony:
1. King sets out in procession, with priests,
singers and dancers preceding and following him
2. King arrives at temple that houses statue of Min, where he preforms ritual offerings
3. Procession leaves temple carrying statue of Min, a white bull precedes them and erect lettuces are being carried behind the statue
4. Four birds are released to fly to four cardinal directions of earth, presumably to spread news of the celebration
5. King ceremonially cuts sheaf of emmer wheat with sickle, symbolizing the start of the harvest, and the bull is sacrificed
6. Statue of Min is returned to the temple, where the king performs another ritual, and the lettuces are placed with the statue